Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd is weeing all the time - Should I be concerned?

(9 Posts)
mummytopebs Wed 17-Aug-11 21:25:53

DD is 6 she has been weeing frequently for around 6 weeks. She has had her urine dipsticked at the drop in doctors who said it was fine, no infection. So what could be causing this frequent urination? She wakes in the night twice to go to the toilet, which she has never done. And she is saying she needs to wee about 20 times a day!! She says its not hurting her. Could this be a phase?

hellymelly Wed 17-Aug-11 22:54:24

My dd had this,it came on after a virus.We are still not sure whether it was stress related ,as she was unhappy at school,or purely physical. She was five at the time.Culture came back clear etc,she had never woken to wee before,all very strange. The GP thought maybe she had had an irritation there,(had used new bubble bath) and although that had resolved,her body had got into the habit of frequent weeing.He said it would resolve over a few weeks,which it did,but it is all a bit of a mystery as to quite what was going on.

brambleschooks Wed 17-Aug-11 23:09:23

Does her breath smell of pear drops? Is she losing weight? Is she tired and grumpy? Does she have tummy pains? Is she very thirsty?
Weeing a lot can be an indicator of the onset of type one diabetes. Has your doctor ruled this out? We went to our gp a couple of times before my son hit a fast downhill phase and it wasn't picked up until it became critical. He began to wet the bed having weed epic amounts during the day and night.
Hope it is just a phase but do please be aware of diabetes. X

hellymelly Wed 17-Aug-11 23:12:20

My doc did test for diabetes when my dd had this problem.

mummytopebs Thu 18-Aug-11 09:05:16

No they didnt test for diabetes. How would they test for that?

brambleschooks Thu 18-Aug-11 09:16:48

Helly, glad your gp did, wish mine had.

Mummy, they would probably do a glucose dipstick in the urine. Very rarely they do a pinprick blood test. Is she otherwise well? It seems odd for her to be weeing so much even (and I hope it's not) if it is not diabetes. X

Sorry, don't want to worry you, but after what we went through if I had known he would have been diagnosed before he got really poorly and this may inform any others reading this thread.

littleshinyone Thu 18-Aug-11 10:44:44

Mummy, you could probably take a sample to the GP reception with a note that you want the nurse to check it for glucose- very easy for them to do, especially if it's a push for appointments.

hellymelly Thu 18-Aug-11 23:05:06

I did worry it was diabetes when my dd started doing it,she is very thin,and at the time was also exhausted,although she wasn't thirsty. I also did notice that her urine output didn't seem increased,just the frequency (she was doing lots of small wees,like cystitis but without the agony).So it was a huge relief to have ruled that out.

brambleschooks Thu 18-Aug-11 23:32:42

Pebs, is this your dd who is struggling with allergies and has an epipen? Or is it your little one who has circulation difficulties? You seem to be dealing with a lot. It's the little one with the allergies she had a water infection, could it be following on from that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now