Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this chicken pox?

(3 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Wed 17-Aug-11 09:30:22

DS1 is 3.10. He started with spots on Sunday or Monday, which I thought were insect bites (about 8 or 10 of them). They were quite red and angry looking, very 'individual' with cream spots in the middle of the redness.

Yesterday, nursery called up, suspecting pox. They counted 19 spots. When I got there, the number of spots has increased, but they now look less 'angry', have faded and some of the spots are now more 'pin prick' in appearance (some do still have cream middles). I brought him home.

He still has the same number this morning.

He is well in himself, a bit of a cough / snotty nose, but nothing out of the ordinary. No fever.

My feeling is that it isn't pox, as he is fine in himself and it's now been over 48 hours since he first got the spots.

He is due back at nursery tomorrow, so I'm about to ring them up to chat to them. Any experiences / thoughts would be really welcome, as I am a pox virgin smile

Feel like I'm wasting the doctors time if I book an appointment. But then not knowing is annoying, as I feel like we can't go out! Any thoughts?

Cheers

Gillybean73 Thu 18-Aug-11 00:14:55

Definitely take him to the doctors, you are not wasting their time, that is what they are there for and I've never met a doctor yet who minds taking a look at a child when something is not quite 100%.

It could be chicken pox as when I had it my Mum said I was absolutely fine and wouldn't stay in the house, I was out playing as usual and had no ill effects so to speak apart from the spots.

It could also be a viral type rash called Erythema Multiforme. My DS had that and it was difficult getting it diagnosed but if it is that, it's nothing to worry about and it will clear up by itself. It's just a reaction to the body fighting off a virus. The spots will be away probably in around 4/5 days.

You don't say if your DS has had all his immunisations but German measles can look like very small pin pricks apparently and it usually starts behind the ears and spreads out from there.

The only way you will know for sure is a trip to the doctors and it's better to double check - I'm sure it will be nothing sinister but it will put your mind at ease.

Let me know how you get on.

sheeplikessleep Thu 18-Aug-11 08:45:56

Thanks Gillybean - he is still the same this morning, but I'm convinced now it isn't chicken pox, as they are clearing up a bit. He has had all his routine jabs yes. He hasn't got any spots behind the ears either. I'm going to see how he gets on today.

DS2 is 17 months and as of this morning has developed more of a pin prick rash on his tummy. It's totally different, but of course now I can't help but link the two! I'll take them both tomorrow if they still have them. I've shown a few people DS1 spots and they're pretty certain they don't look like pox spots. I'm fairly convinced it's just one of those rashes, probably viral rash.

Thanks for posting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now