Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

effing nits

(24 Posts)
smallwhitecat Tue 16-Aug-11 21:56:54

Message withdrawn

Sidge Tue 16-Aug-11 21:59:23

You can't have live nits - nits are the eggs and casings.

You mean lice!

If your head is itching then you may have lice, as the nits can't bite.

I would use the lotion, and comb, and repeat as instructed depending which lotion you have.

smallwhitecat Tue 16-Aug-11 22:03:07

Message withdrawn

EdithWeston Tue 16-Aug-11 22:03:20

Listening for recommendations.

We're in the most persistent outbreak of the little buggers ever. I've been combing (nitty gritty, conditioner and repellant) which has seen them off before, but am beginning to think of using something else as well. I'm not keen on the organophophate ones - do any others actually work?

OP: wet combing can take an age, but is meant to be as effective as lotions (and before this lot I would have posted that without reservation). It's a PITA with long, thick hair - but even mid-rant I would say it's the thing to try first - daily until regularly clear, then every few days for a week or so longer. Hair straightness can help as they do fry quite a lot, but they don't get the cunning little blighters that are in the millimetres by your scalp, so you need to comb as well.

smallwhitecat Tue 16-Aug-11 22:15:43

Message withdrawn

EnidB Tue 16-Aug-11 22:22:35

I am totally fed up with weeks of "head lice" warnings at nursery - my head itches every time I pick DD up.
I comb DD with conditioner every night the nursery sign is up, plus the occasional "check" - I can't stand the thought of live lice crawling around her head.
Only had one infestation so far - conditioner and nit comb did the trick - good luck!!
Re your head - sit in the bath (cup of tea / glass of wine / something on the radio) just section and comb through. Bug buster kit (found it on-line) had a good selection of combs

Bohica Tue 16-Aug-11 22:24:20

Fudge up itchy, make room for another scratchy mummy.

Nitty Gritty & loads of conditioner isthe only way to go imo, I have 3 girls with long hair & we treat our heads once a week, chocolate & a decent film & we sit in front of the tv with our nitty gritty comb & a bottle of conditioner.

I did an end of school de-nit at the beginning of the school holidays & realised that DD1 was scratching & had a whole head full of them from going to holiday club!!

We do a wet condition de-nit every other day & I am now only getting the odd one per child. I have tried doing my own hair (short) but I don't get anything out so I wonder if I'm just a scratchy head because they are making me paranoid?

<<scratches head & reaches fot the nitty gritty>>

MrsS01 Tue 16-Aug-11 22:27:06

I use full marks. Do weekly check of DS (more if get school letter that nits are in the class). If I see any on him, do him and me (I have long hair that is impossible for me to check so just use it on me anyway). Wash DS hair and then use conditioner - seems to keep them away from him. Also heard hairsray is good to keep them away.

Bohica Tue 16-Aug-11 22:42:43

Oh forgot to add that the conditioner suffocates the little darlings as they breath through their skin <boak>

NickRobinsonsloveslave Tue 16-Aug-11 22:56:35

My DCs had them and I started scratching too. Used nit comb on myself and nothing there. So I think its pyschological scratching.

whenIgetto3 Wed 17-Aug-11 11:39:26

I have DD10 currently screaming "I hate my hair shave it all off" as we have them again, she came home from school at end of term crawling, they were jumping off her. Now we have been clear for about 4 weeks and have them again, although she is declaring she doesn't have them as she was only itching due to the pollen in the air grin.

I am so tempted after the 10min screaming session that does not appear to be slowing down to just shave it all off and prove to her that even with a number 1 all over you can get them (she doesn't believe DS had them as his hair is too short and I was lying as apparently I like the smell of full marks and treat because I am a mean mummy)

smallwhitecat Wed 17-Aug-11 22:14:07

Message withdrawn

EdithWeston Thu 18-Aug-11 00:25:35

smallwhitecat: I do hope that's done the trick for you.

I tried Full Marks on all of us tonight. Pleasingly (after last night's marathon combing session) not much came out. Fingers crossed.

whenIgetto3 Thu 18-Aug-11 10:39:16

Well the full marks worked in the house and now we have a happy 10 year old who isn't itching and understands why mummy was mean smile

Bohica Fri 19-Aug-11 18:51:20

I've just spent 60 minutes doing 3 little heads & we still have them sad I'm going to try full marks here tomorrow.
Small next time leave the conditioner on to go through your hair with the comb because the conditioner helps drag them out!

eleanorwish Fri 19-Aug-11 18:54:51

The only one that worked for us was Hedrin (not the one you leave on overnight but the one which you leave on for 30 mins or so?)
BTW the itching is not because of the bites, it's an allergic reaction to louse droppings !

EdithWeston Fri 19-Aug-11 18:57:22

I really wish you hadn't said that, eleanorwish

DCs no longer scratching, was feeling quite hopeful, but your post has just made me itch!

smallwhitecat Sat 20-Aug-11 18:09:42

Message withdrawn

nenevomito Sat 20-Aug-11 18:17:21

So its not just here then?

DD keeps getting them over and over again. I am double treating each time now with conditioner and nitty gritty, waiting until dry and then overnight Hedrin with a hedrin follow up a week later.

She stays clear for a few weeks and then they're back again. I have a sneaking suspicion where they are coming from as she was clear for a month, played at someone's house for the first time in a month earlier this week and I've been clearing them out this afternoon!!

I'm treating us all at the same time, but its driving me nuts!! We had no nits at all with DS.

ComeWhineWithMe Sat 20-Aug-11 18:18:22

I have given in with wet combing and conditioner and got the full marks from Asda 3.00 a bottle.
It has made my life a lot better, the wet combing just wasn't working and I have 5 dd's with thick long hair.

insanityscatching Sat 20-Aug-11 18:29:32

I've given in here too and used Hedrin treat and go on dd, been conditioning and combing forever but either I'm missing the odd one or she is being re infected because they are being more persistent than ever.
The mousse is good so it doesn't run in her eyes (may be over enthusiastic on the dosing tbh) and it's dried so she could go out as it needs at least eight hours.
Only hope it works now although back at school soon and she'll be infected within a week.

nenevomito Sat 20-Aug-11 18:45:13

Treat and go? I'd not heard of that. Will look up.

insanityscatching Sat 20-Aug-11 19:00:48

Saw it advertised last night on TV for the first time. Picked it up from Tesco £13 but I figure if I had to I could treat her before school and wash it off before bed.

When my older DDs were smaller, DD1 was in a class in Yr 1 with one particular little girl who ALWAYS had them. Consequently they were in and out of their heads. After a year of this I just forced sat them down every third day and did conditioner/comb, rinsing and leaving a second layer of conditioner in the hair overnight (both had long hair at primary age too). Never got them again and they're late teens.

I always, always put their hair in one or two french braids for school, sprayed liberally with hairspray so they lasted a couple of days and then repeated the whole process again with the conditioner/comb.

DS never got them which always amazed me. I probably had them about 4 times. When DD3 is ready for school I will be doing the same thing with her whether she likes it or not and hope I have the same good fortune in keeping them at bay...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now