Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

If dd2's leg was broken she would be screaming right????

(33 Posts)
Marne Tue 16-Aug-11 18:39:48

Dd2 just hurt her leg on the trampoline, she cried for a while, led down, i then put some cold peas on it and she is now limping around with her foot turned in a little (not putting it all on the floor), she keeps lying down and is a bit pale, have given her calpol to take away any pain. Should i be taking her to A&E or should i leave it a while and see how she is in a few hours? if it was broken wouldn't she be screaming in pain??

ChippingIn Tue 16-Aug-11 18:40:54

Not necessarily no. How old is she?

EttiKetti Tue 16-Aug-11 18:41:24

Not always, DS broke his arm falling down the stairs and there were no obvious signs, just noticed him trying not to use it

SouthGoingZax Tue 16-Aug-11 18:41:48

My DN was trying to play with the toys in the playroom at the hospital with a broken elbow.
Maybe get it checked out.

Marne Tue 16-Aug-11 18:42:43

She's 5 and has ASD, she hardly ever cries when she's hurt (apart from a week ago when she cut her mouth on the door step), she's bending her knee, sat on the sofa reading the Argos but limping when she walks.

herbietea Tue 16-Aug-11 18:43:14

Message withdrawn

yousankmybattleship Tue 16-Aug-11 18:43:21

Why are you posting on here if you think it might be broken? Get her to A&E! Poor thing.

Tommy Tue 16-Aug-11 18:43:57

She might not be! DS2 broke a bone in his foot when he was about 3 and had stopped crying. I took him to A&E the next morning.

If I were you, I would leave it il morning after Calpol - not least because the A&E will be quieter at 9am tomorrow than it wil be now.....

Marne Tue 16-Aug-11 18:46:37

I think i might be over reacting (which is why i'm posting on here), someone told me about there child breaking there leg whilst on a trampoline with a larger child, when the bed sprung back up it snapped his leg shock, i was messing around on there with both dd's, i was jumping (not very high) and then dd2 was screaming in pain, i feal really guilty sad (stupid mummy).

Marne Tue 16-Aug-11 18:47:33

Surely if i take her in now there will be no one there to x-ray her anyway? (will be told to wait until tomorrow??

yousankmybattleship Tue 16-Aug-11 18:48:25

I don't think you should feel even a tiny bit guilty but I do think you should take her to A&E just to get it looked at. I hope she (and you) feel better later.

fivegomadindorset Tue 16-Aug-11 18:52:11

There is always someone to xray, take her in just in case.

ragged Tue 16-Aug-11 18:52:18

breaks are very swollen (lots of experience) and get stiff because of the swelling, not necessarily painful, just hard to move. I doubt it's a break from what you describe, more likely bruised or a muscle strain or maybe sprain (which would require looking at, but you'll know by tomorrow if it persists that long).
Getting looked at now or tomorrow doesn't make that much difference re a break, anyway (again, too much real life experience!)

BikeRunSki Tue 16-Aug-11 18:52:58

I broke my shoulder blade once, and didn't know for 6 weeks.
At my local hospital (Barnsley) X ray is open 24 hrs.

BeaWheesht Tue 16-Aug-11 18:55:09

I could be wrong but I seem to remember you are generally quite anxious? Apologies if I'm wrong.

Tbh ds has done this before and then in an hour been fine - just seems to have jolted it, can you wait for a wee while and see? If not take her to a+e now or call nhs. Its hard sometimes to know if you're worrying for nothing or if your worry is justified isn't it?

heathermumof3 Tue 16-Aug-11 18:56:38

My brother had a broken arm didn't know untill 3 weeks later he was still complaining it was still a little sore. Took him to the docs who sent him for a xray only to find out it was broken and needed a pot

OfflineFor30Years Tue 16-Aug-11 18:57:13

I'd take her.

DD1 slipped down the stairs and hurt her arm, there were no outward signs of anything broken so I put her to bed with Calpol. Even in the morning there was nothing obvious but she said it still hurt - I called NHS Direct who recommended taking her to hospital just in case. Glad I did as she'd fractured her bone; I felt awful for not having taken her the night before.

CheeseandGherkins Tue 16-Aug-11 18:57:14

I'd go to A&E.

changejustforyou Tue 16-Aug-11 18:58:05

Greenstick fractures in children not swollen and often only sign is that they won't use arm/limp with leg. But agree it makes no difference whether you take her tonight or tomorrow. Whatever is most vonvenient for you.

OriginalPoster Tue 16-Aug-11 18:59:26

It's common for people to not realise their dc has had a break until the next day. Take her to A and E.

littleshinyone Tue 16-Aug-11 19:56:47

having worked in an A&E department i agree with much of what has been said.

i think making sure she has enough calpol and ibuprofen, and then to A&E tomorrow if even the slightest bit of concern still- not all breaks in children become screamingly painful and swollen, as often it's a 'greenstick' fracture rather than a break right through the surface of the bone.

there is usually some sort of basic xray 24h even, even if they can't do the super duper complicated stuff (which this definitely isn't!) so if you were concerned, no one would think you were being over the top taking her in this evening, but having been on the recieving end, tired strung out emotional children are harder to assess than ones who have hada good night's rest and can be seen when it's relatively quieter.

good luck, I hope she's ok, but i definitely htink you should get her seen by tomorrow. GPs are in an awkward position with this without direct access to xray, so straight to A&E

littleshinyone Tue 16-Aug-11 19:57:32

plus, trampolines are notorious for injuries!!

canyou Tue 16-Aug-11 20:21:42

I would also recommend x ray, DC had a green stick break for a week before it was x rayed blush, both My DP and Dad are paramedics and looked at it and said it was fine, And trampolines are banned in this house as a bouncy castles and DC are not allowed play on either if other children are on them at the same time due to the injuries they cause.
Hope your DD is ok

Marne Tue 16-Aug-11 23:01:02

We went to A&E had to wait 3 hours to be seen, by then dd2 had almost fully recovered and was happily playing with the toys in the playroom. Doctor checked her over and said 'she seems ok' so we are now home, we have to take her back if she has not recovered by fridy but they dont think anything is broken, just a minor knee injury.

BeaWheesht Wed 17-Aug-11 01:31:26

Glad all is ok. Ds has done this, like I say, a couple of times, once he refused to put weight on it for about an hour. Just jolted though and was ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now