Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My nephew may have Septic arthritis in his knee.

(4 Posts)
piano10 Tue 16-Aug-11 09:22:19

Does anyone have any experience of this?
He is 4 yrs old and he has had x rays, scans and blood tests suggesting he may have this medical condition. My poor sister is very worried. They are seeing the consultant at the hospital this morning, but I wondering if you guys had any advice/experience of Septic arthritis in children.
Thank you in advance.

4nomore Wed 17-Aug-11 09:54:29

My sister had septic arthritis in her ankle joint when she was just short of a year old. Thie was aeons ago, she's 40 now! I think it was quite well established before it was treated. She had an emergency operation and massive doses of antibiotic which cured the infection. I'd love to say that that was the end of the story but it did affect the growth of her lower leg and that leg is shorter than the other, her ankle and foot are a bit mangled too and she's very little movement in the joint but she was just a baby when it happened and it did happen in the early 1970s - I think your nephew can expect a better outcome.

piano10 Wed 17-Aug-11 09:58:51

Thank you for you reply. It appears now that he doesnt have septic arthritis but some kind of smaller infection that was in the knee joint. He is better now , and no treatment was required but they are keeping an eye on it.

4nomore Wed 17-Aug-11 10:04:53

That's really good smile although I do think her experience with septic arthritis was quite extreme anyway and most people could expect a more complete recovery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now