Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! My baby has eaten newspaper, should I worry?

(16 Posts)
ThroughTheRoundWindow Mon 15-Aug-11 13:16:57

Um, yeah so as it says in the title. My seven month old seems to have chewed and swallowed half a tabloid page. Will it jst go straight through or should I be rushing her to hospital? Help, please!

ragged Mon 15-Aug-11 13:19:47

Mine did okay on a diet of Argos catalog pages blush.
You could phone NHS direct if still worried.

HerdOfTinyElephants Mon 15-Aug-11 13:22:31

She'll be fine <resists opportunity for crack at the Daily Mail>. No need to worry.

ThroughTheRoundWindow Mon 15-Aug-11 13:25:28

The ink isn't poisonous or anything then? (wish i'd thought of this before giving it to her to 'play' with! Sometimes think i'm not qualified to be a mum)

TimothyClaypoleLover Mon 15-Aug-11 13:29:05

Just wait until she starts eating worms, mud, poo etc etc. Newspaper seems harmless in comparison.

Shoutymomma Mon 15-Aug-11 13:34:55

Tabloid you say? Hmm, I'd be worried.

ragged Mon 15-Aug-11 13:59:21

I think the newsprint ink is slightly toxic but not beyond what she can take.
But don't take my word for it.

Shinyshoes1 Mon 15-Aug-11 14:03:35

LOL I was going to have a DM dig too grin

I think she'll be fine,

ThroughTheRoundWindow Mon 15-Aug-11 17:09:33

It was actually the local free ads paper. Don't knowm if better or worse than DM?! Update - I called nhs direct and they said not to worry. Were very nice about it tho!

HerdOfTinyElephants Mon 15-Aug-11 17:42:06

Newsprint ink used to be toxic but at a level where your child would have to chug back neat ink or work through WH Smiths' entire stock of newspapers before you needed to worry. Now IIRC most are printed using non-toxic ink. So probably the one your DD ate was non-toxic, and if not the "chugging back neat ink" thing still applies.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 15-Aug-11 17:43:59

Oh gosh, she'll start pointing out houses for sale and car related bargains for weeks grin

Then she'll run for the parish council.

ThroughTheRoundWindow Tue 16-Aug-11 10:31:56

WHomovedmychocolate - lol! But at least she'll know where all the table top sales and school fetes are happening!

StuckUpTheFarawayTree Tue 16-Aug-11 10:34:26

Lol at whomoved...!

She will poo it out, op. I wouldn't worry personally.

Fisharefriendsnotfood Tue 16-Aug-11 10:36:16

I phoned A & E when I thought dd had swallowed tin foil off a kit Kat...they told me to watch for sparkly poo! grin

Daughteroflilith Tue 16-Aug-11 10:41:42

They used to wrap fish and chips in it for years. Anything dangerous would have soaked into all the vinegar and hot fat, so it must be OK. Newsprint used to contain arsenic but that was over a century ago, I think!

SaulGood Tue 16-Aug-11 10:43:56

DD ate most of the insert for an ACDC cd once. She was about 5 months. When it reappeared later that day, you could still read some of the lyrics. Musical poo. Nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now