Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler Eye Twitch

(4 Posts)
ramade Sun 14-Aug-11 13:33:28

I've noticed over the past few days, that my DS who is 2, has had a twitchy eye. It's not all the time, but when he's got it its every 6/7 seconds and in just one eye. I think the times I have noticed it, he has been tired, but he hasn't ever had this in the past.

Just googled 'Involutary toddler eye twitch' and have scared myself silly, things that came up were severe eye conditions, brain cancer, head trauma...the list went on, now I'm beside myself with worry.

I'm Going to book an appointment with the GP tomorrow. Anyone out there experienced this with their toddler?

DBennett Mon 15-Aug-11 02:07:11

Eyelid twitches are not uncommon for children or adults, the number of times it is posted about on here is indicative of that.

To get technical for a second, an eye lid twitch is known as a "soft" neurological sign.
That means it can be a sign of something serious (but it is not much help telling you what or where) but it is found so often in people without a medical problem that it is not a good predictor of disease.

In an adult it tends to be caused but over-doing alcohol, caffeine or not getting enough sleep.
Only one of those is likely in your toddler and you already noticed a correlation.

Getting it checked is sensible but the odds are massively in your favour that it will pass as his wakefulness and sleeping patterns naturally shift.

Does that help at all?

ramade Mon 15-Aug-11 14:23:47

Thankyou DBennett. I have made an appointment with the doctor (have to go fo myself anyway, so will mention it then). I don't know why I Google medical stuff, it always makes me panic. This is what Mumsnet is good for, I get a bit fed up with it at times when people are abraisive with each other on some of the threads. Thanks again smile

DBennett Mon 15-Aug-11 14:26:18

No bother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now