Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Weird high and squeaky voice after adenotonsillectomy

(4 Posts)
MrsJohnDeere Sat 13-Aug-11 19:31:16

My 5yo ds had an adenotonsillectomy on Tuesday. He reacted badly to the anaesthetic (sick, alternating between lethargy and hysteria, couldn't eat or drink) so was on a drip for 24 hours afterwards. He's now home and is eating and drinking ok and no longer snores but his voice has gone really strange. Really high-pitched and squeaky and girly sounding. Is this normal? Will he go back to having a 'boy' voice at some point or have we broken him? I'm worried that he'll go back to school after summer and everyone will laugh at him.

Elibean Sat 13-Aug-11 20:07:29

I've heard of this, seem to remember something about it in literature I was given when dd had the op....and also seem to remember reading it goes back to normal. I imagine the inflammation in the larynx area could do weird things to the voice - dd was very husky/strange sounding for a week or two after her op. The only lasting effect, as far as we could tell, was that she got distinctly LOUDER smile

Sorry your ds had a hard time, it sounds upsetting - and hope he's back to normal in every way (except snoring) soon.

cedmonds Sat 13-Aug-11 20:14:48

Hi
Ds voice went very high pitched after the opp it lasted about two weeks and was back to normal.

MrsJohnDeere Sat 13-Aug-11 20:23:38

Phew, thanks both. That's reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now