Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

cannot get rid of 18 month old DD's ringworm with Canesten H... any ideas?

(4 Posts)
mrsravelstein Sat 13-Aug-11 08:03:13

dd has eczema and has been plagued by impetigo. finally got rid of most of that, and she is now plagued with ringworm pretty much all over her.

GP prescribed canesten h but said not to use it for more than 10 days in a row. it gets rid of the patches by the end of the 10 days, but within a few days of stopping the cream, the ringworm comes back. i've now just done a 3rd course of it and it really seemed to be all gone, but 4 days later it's back all over her and she is waking up at night scratching madly, really suffering with it. the H also really irritates her skin so she is left with very dry sore patches. i tried canesten without the H but that didn't help at all.

any ideas of what to try next?

kittensliveupstairs Sat 13-Aug-11 10:00:29

I caught ringworm from my cats when I was pregnant. I doubt such new fangled drugs were available where I lived and the doctor told me to get some tea tree oil.
I applied it neat for about two days and the rings disappeared.
Could be worth a go, although you may want to dilute it a bit.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 13-Aug-11 12:10:27

mrsravel - are you sure it's ringworm? dd had discoid excema which is quite similar and was initially misdiagnosed by the GP. Doscoid excema is notoriously difficult to shift. Also if you are using hydrocortisone you shouldn't just stop you need to taper it off.

mrsravelstein Sat 13-Aug-11 15:39:36

sorry for delay in replying, thank you for your thoughts.

i'm pretty sure it is ringworm as it's very distinctive - i googled the discoid eczema and it looks less like that but i will do some further research

have actually been to pharmacist just now and she mentioned the cat connection too, i had no idea so will get mog to vet pronto in case it's from her. have got some tea tree oil to try in bath as i suspect neat it will really sting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now