Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sore penis - 5 year old

(9 Posts)
Poogles Fri 12-Aug-11 19:30:13

DS (5) has been complaining of a sore penis. I've had a look & it is a bit red at the end. He says it hurts more when he wees. He has been staying at my sisters this week and was too embarassed to tell her so not sure how long it's been going on for.

He's not in massive pain so don't think it's an A&E matter but wondered if anyone had any ideas of what it could be and what might help as GP closed till Monday.

uberalice Fri 12-Aug-11 19:33:38

Sounds like an infection. Bathe in salt water several times a day. I'd get him to a doctor before Monday if possible to get some antibiotics. If there's any discharge, it can get quite sticky and make it uncomfortable getting his pants off, in which case, spraying some water on them will help. This is quite common I think, and most boys grow out of it.

frankie3 Sat 13-Aug-11 20:25:03

My ds had this and the doctor said that it was thrush. He prescribed a cream to put on it, do worth going to the doctors.

ParkerRocks Sat 13-Aug-11 20:36:47

My DS had this when he was younger, the doctor said it was thrush and prescribed canesten which cleared it up. The doctor gave me the impression it was quite common.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 13-Aug-11 20:42:28

DS gets this when he drinks too much orange juice. I put sudocrem on it, it goes away overnight. Don't know why.

Louplet Sat 13-Aug-11 20:49:47

My 4 year old DS got this yesterday night. We put Sudocrem on it and today it was fine.

MagicGenie Sat 13-Aug-11 20:59:24

My youngest used to get this a lot - we encouraged him to dry/blot himself with toilet paper after weeing; this really helped x

Poogles Mon 15-Aug-11 12:15:35

Thanks All. We phoned NHS direct who said to let him soak in a warm bath without soap/bubbles and see how he goes. We've put a bit of sudocream on it and encouraged him to blot. He says it is feeling a lot better and only hurts a little bit sometimes! Will keep an eye on it and if it's not fully better in another day or so will take him to GP.

piano10 Tue 16-Aug-11 09:19:54

Encouraged lots of fluids,,, just incase its a urinary infection. If it persists then see GP incase there is something wrong with foreskin...it could be infected..=.Ballanitis

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now