Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

cradle cap in 3 year old

(9 Posts)
janx Fri 12-Aug-11 15:45:43

My ds still has cradle cap - have tried olive oil but doesn't seem to shift it - he has pretty thick hair so you can't really see it - but would like to to be all gone now - any ideas?

mistlethrush Fri 12-Aug-11 15:50:46

Been there....

We ended up making sure that we washed his hair thoroughly at least once a week (it doesn't get greasy so doesn't actually 'need' doing really regularly) and gave it a good hard rub when wet before rinsing... then we'd do some gentle combing too - and occasionally use a wet brush on the worst bits - it did clear up.

janx Fri 12-Aug-11 15:53:07

Thanks - he hates having his hair washed so we end of doing less often than we should as it doesn't actually look dirty - did you just use a regular comb?

mistlethrush Fri 12-Aug-11 16:11:42

Yes, regular comb or a wide toothed comb... We also had the 'hate' hairwash issue... I think we have (finally) got over it - and we can now wash his hair witn no screaming during (although sometimes some screaming before still lol) and he's really pleased that he manages that now! grin (he's 6 btw)

janx Fri 12-Aug-11 16:17:46

Apparently I hated washing my hair when I was little! My mum used to give me 20p as a bribe and warn the neighbours that the screaming they were hearing was not down to anything suspect - just wash hair night grin

HamburgerHelper Fri 12-Aug-11 16:32:42

Also, use fresh water, rather than bath water, to rinse his hair. That'll help prevent build up.

Beamur Fri 12-Aug-11 16:34:56

My DD is the same - I occasionally use an afro comb to lift the flakes a bit, rub in olive oil then wash. I only wash her hair once a week max though.
It's better than it was, but there are still a few patches. Can't really see it though and it doesn't seem to bother her.

chocolateyclur Fri 12-Aug-11 17:14:08

Dont know if it's a fluke, but since using Vosene tea tree shampoo my 3 year old's has entirely disappeared.

Lansinoh works well too, but it's a pain in the arse to get out of hair.

Clara35 Fri 12-Aug-11 20:05:33

Try head & shoulders shampoo. It helped my ds3 but since I have changed to different shampoo cradle cap has come back so need to go back to it. Will give vosene a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now