Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sports/fitness suggestions please for 10yo girl.. Not as simple as it sounds..

(15 Posts)
DoolallyMarjorie Wed 10-Aug-11 20:39:30

I've realised that dd1 is seriously unfit whilst dodging the rain on a recent holiday!

Can you suggest any activities that she could do to improve her fitness, bearing in mind the following :

- she has tried dance classes and gymnastics in the past, but feels uncomfortable in a class where the other kids have been doing it since they were embryos and laugh at her

- she hates competitive sports like football, she's quite a girly girl not a sporty kid

She's recently tried golf and quite enjoyed that - but the only other girl in the class left and it became a more boy - oriented class

We can't walk to school as I drop them off and then continue straight to work 10 miles away in the far.

She can swim, and ride a bike - but it's hard as dd2 can't (and has no intention of learning!!)

I took her to my own dance class which she loved - but the other kids there waiting for their Mums laughed at her (she's not a natural dancer bless her!)

What can we do? Any suggestions gratefully received.

whyme2 Thu 11-Aug-11 07:09:38

Karate type class - there are lots around here.

Cheerleading - less dancing and more jumping.

Athletics club.

Swimming class/team.

My dd's have a dance game that they do at home. The eldest is not a natural dancer but tries hard, the younger dd has more natural rhythm and poise though. They also love the trampoline we bought them last Christmas.

CMOTdibbler Thu 11-Aug-11 08:32:58

How about doing something as a family at the weekend - you could all cycle together with dd2 on a tagalong ? Or go geocaching to walk with a purpose
Childrens zumba class ?
Horseriding ?

KeepOnSwimming Thu 11-Aug-11 09:09:30

trampoline in the garden? Tennis? How about rowing or other watersports - she's at a good age to start!

DoolallyMarjorie Thu 11-Aug-11 20:04:48

Thank for all the suggestions, just what I wanted smile

menagerie Sat 13-Aug-11 23:04:04

Skipping is a brilliant way to get fit. Or if you do a fitness dvd let her join in. Agree with posters above who say swimming club, martial arts and trampoline are great ideas too.

One of my sons is not so fit, and I try to sneak exercise in, like getting him to run upstairs for me to fetch something several times a day.wink

SherlockHolmes Sat 13-Aug-11 23:07:29

There are lots of fitness games for the Wii, and some of them are quite knackering! DS is often really out of breath and red after playing some of them. Particularly good in all this crap weather!

Or a dance mat? They're good fun too.

Clary Sat 13-Aug-11 23:13:49

Tennis is good fun and not too competitive (at least not a team game). Our local club does Saturday morning coaching for a good price and if you are a member (about £20 IIRC) you can play any time. Maybe get a pal to do it too? Most kids don't start dead early IME unlike ballet etc so she shoudlbe fine in ability terms.

Swimming - make dd2 learn (it's non-negotiable in this house) or just let her go on her own/with a pal if she's 10.

Drop off a bit further from school - half a mile or so - for her to get her to walk or they can walk together (how old is DD2?)

Yes I agree karate might be good too.

DoolallyMarjorie Sun 14-Aug-11 20:27:07

Thank you - good suggestions again.

nightcat Mon 15-Aug-11 22:08:51

do you have a garden? with 2 dds I would try badminton

TapselteerieO Mon 15-Aug-11 22:21:43

Swingball might be good for both dc. Orienteering is a good weekend sport and suits all ages levels. There might be a bicycle club near you too? Yoga is great if you can find a good class.

Herecomesthesciencebint Mon 15-Aug-11 22:27:19

karate type thing, try something like combat kids, theres bound to be a class locally.

streetdance classes? bit more accessible than more trad dance.

how about an outwood bound day during the hols where they will try lots of different sports. most areas have soemthing running and you could rope a friend in to go with her.

horseriding? is surprisingly athletic.

athletics club great idea. they cater for all levels and some also do the field events.

does your local municipal gym have teenage sessions? ours has times they are allowed in aged 8-16 and the fitness instructors will do them free health plans.

thisisyesterday Mon 15-Aug-11 22:34:25

how old is dd2?? if old enough to learn to swim/cycle then this could kill 2 birds with one stone surely?

Eaglebird Mon 15-Aug-11 23:03:07

How about incorporating brisk walks into family outings / picnics?
Or having little races when you're at the park or in the garden etc.
Or getting a Wii Fit game and playing against each other.
Or doing a fitness DVD together.
Roller blades?
Pogo sticks?
Skipping?
It doesn't have to be structured, as long as it's fun and gets her a bit out of breath.
Good luck smile

DoolallyMarjorie Fri 19-Aug-11 21:44:44

Thank you for all the suggestions. DD2 is 8, so the walking part way to school would work.

DD1would love horse riding - but isn't it really dangerous? All I remember is a friend when I was at school fell off her horse and was kicked, and broke arms and legs and pretty much every bone!

I might look into swimming club for her too, she does like swimming (but that's a non starter with DD2 - last time she had swimming lessons she just stood in the water refusing to do what the teacher asked, so until she changes her attitude I'm not wasting my money (and she gets left out when everyone else goes swimming)

She's quite interested in drama too, and I guess that can be relatively physical...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now