Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How do you get eye drops into a stroppy toddler?

(5 Posts)
Jackaroo Wed 10-Aug-11 07:42:56

I admit being very spoilt, DS1 was pretty easy DS2 is more normal.

I have to get a drop into each eye every two hours, for the next couple of days.

Any handy hints (there's only one of me, DS2 is huge, strong, cross, pretty sick, and over having a high temp., croup, middle ear infection and conjunctivitist).

Cheers,

J

neepsntatties Wed 10-Aug-11 07:45:51

Do it with his eyes closed, drop into the corner of his eye then when he opens his eyes the drop should go in. That's how we did it with Ds 3. He still didn't like it but he couldn't cope with doing it with his eyes open.

Jackaroo Wed 10-Aug-11 07:52:11

Mm, do I wait for his eyes to be closed? As in asleep?! he sees me coming with the drops and starts hiding in tricky places, so I suppose I was thining more about helpful holds and grips :-)

His sleep is almost non-existent at the moment, so I'm disinclined to break it..

neepsntatties Wed 10-Aug-11 08:46:12

We laid him down and got him to close his eyes so he was awake. We bribed with biscuits.

NoodlesMam Wed 10-Aug-11 17:22:28

bribery, sing to him, make him feel important. My DD2 has very poorly eyes and has drops at least 8 times a day but she got used to it pretty quick. We used to sing to her and when she let us do it we would jump around and clap! She thought she was fantastic. Now if she struggles we remind her that she's special and has 'Princess Eyes' and we have to put drops in to keep them like that. Bless her. If the singing and dancing fails (as it occasionally did in the beginning with DD2) I suggest sitting on the floor, put your son between your legs with his head resting on one knee and your other leg over the top of his torso and arms, which leaves your hands free to wrestle with his head! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now