Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

prolonged high temperature

(12 Posts)
diggingintheribs Mon 08-Aug-11 22:34:25

DS (4) has had a temperature since saturday - he goes from hot to white hot and calpol has limited effect. Don't think he's ever gone above 40C. He has no other real symptoms but is a bit sleepier than normal. He's not really eating and he's covered in bruises. He is skin and bones.

DD had something similar a month ago and the temperature and grumpiness improved and then would get worse and then we thought she was better and then she would be worse. lasted about 6 days.

Is this something that's going round? I am really worried about him because he is so scrawny at the moment and i just can't get him to eat anything substantial.

Should I just take him to the GP?

stripeywoollenhat Mon 08-Aug-11 22:38:26

i'd take him to the gp if the temperature isn't going down. poor little guy, hope things get better soon.

BikeRunSki Mon 08-Aug-11 22:40:42

GP ASAP

Or ring NHS Direct and see if it is worth A&E.

At 17 months DS had a temp of 41 for 4 days and ended up in hospital for 9 days.

diggingintheribs Mon 08-Aug-11 22:52:25

thanks - he is sleeping and not hot now. will let him sleep and keep an eye on him and then see about GP in the morning

he's never been a great eater but not eating properly for 3 days has reduced him to a skinny little thing

sneezecakesmum Mon 08-Aug-11 23:11:15

I would be very concerned if a young child was covered in bruises and feverish? what do you mean exactly re covered in bruises, rash, non blanching, what?

diggingintheribs Mon 08-Aug-11 23:16:17

no no - sorry - was exaggerating re covered

he has bruises on his shins etc but they are bump bruises and definitely not rash. maybe he has been bruising more easily or something.

Think i will take him to GP in the morning

DeWe Tue 09-Aug-11 00:15:39

Are the bruises just on legs or are they on the trunk of the body too?
If they're just on legs it may be just looking worse because he's pale. If they're on the trunk (or other unusual places) as well then I'd go A&E asap.

bumbleymummy Tue 09-Aug-11 09:28:50

Hi digging. If he still has a fever today, you really need to take him to the GP to rule out any underlying infection that may need antibiotics. Some fevers can last 4-5 days with just a virus but it's best to rule underlying infection out if the fever has lasted 3 days. hth

diggingintheribs Tue 09-Aug-11 20:53:05

well he has been fine today - no temperature and he has eaten

I suppose yesterday was the worst of it!

Thanks for all your help

sneezecakesmum Tue 09-Aug-11 21:02:14

Thank goodness diggin! You'll find a few more grey hairs in the morning grin welcome to the worry club!

diggingintheribs Tue 09-Aug-11 21:16:29

yes! the hairdresser was just telling me on sunday how my greys aren't to bad - wait 'til I see her next time!!

bumbleymummy Tue 09-Aug-11 22:36:26

Great news! It's amazing how quickly they can bounce back after worrying us to bits! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now