Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5 week old baby with chicken pox, making funny noise!

(14 Posts)
BettyBum Mon 08-Aug-11 09:14:31

My poor little DS has chicken pox, passed on by his sister. Bless him, spots appeared on Thursday/Friday and there are quite a few. Saw on call doctor Friday night and checked spots, temp etc and said to give calpol.

He seems fine apart from sleeping slightly more, but is making this odd noise, it's sort of a grunting/straining sort of noise? Anyone know what this is? Still doesn't appear to have a temp or be in any pain or discomfort. Still feeding well and producing his usual mountain of wet and dirty nappies each day. He is breastfed and is a very good size.

Don't want to take him to GP surgery if I don't need to as wouldn't want him to pass it on to pregnant/ill people!

zgaze Mon 08-Aug-11 09:25:23

Please ring NHS Direct straight away or take him to A&E - my DS was blue-lighted to hospital because of 'grunting' when he was poorly, it's a classic sign of a baby struggling to breathe. I phoned NHS Direct and they sent the ambulance immediately, it was at the door within 7 minutes!

BettyBum Mon 08-Aug-11 09:37:05

I appreciate this but don't think it's related to his breathing, that seems fine, he has been doing it for days and maybe even did it before the CP, not sure...will ring doc now though to check.

ledkr Mon 08-Aug-11 09:40:35

please go straight to a and e my 6 day old was grunting and it was aspiration pneumonia.I am not going to apologise for scaring you please get it checked right now.My baby was ok btw,she is 6 months now. Can you let us know too.

ledkr Mon 08-Aug-11 09:42:09

op mine was ok too,feeding and weeing etc,but was more sleepy too. The grunting is very significant.

BettyBum Mon 08-Aug-11 09:48:37

Got a doc app for 20 mins time. Thanks guys will let you know. He is currently having a usual good long feed so hope this is a positive sign.

ledkr Mon 08-Aug-11 09:59:41

Oh please do,im so glad you are going,ive been pacing.When we took dd to hospital the first dr said nothing to worry about,when the consultant saw her she was taken straight in,i found out later tht thegrunting is a sign of breathing probs,its becuse they have no cough reflex. Good luck ill be checking in all day.

Colourworld Mon 08-Aug-11 10:07:07

Our DS2 was grunting when he was born because of fluid in his lungs. He had to stay in hospital for one day to release the fluid.
Our DS1 also made grunting sounds after the birth but the midwife did not say anything so we took him home. He was grunting like that for a few more weeks. We think he had fluid to.
Keep an eye on your baby. This is a bit too early for the chicken pox. I think it is mentioned on medical sites that it can be dangerous for the baby to catch chicken pox before 6 month.

5inthebed Mon 08-Aug-11 10:08:30

Hope he is ok. Poor little boy.

ledkr Mon 08-Aug-11 10:14:52

colour world,i think cp is dangerous for young babies lungs so this figures.

BettyBum Mon 08-Aug-11 12:08:51

Back from doc, all fine. She listened to chest, checked oxygen levels, took temp, looked in throat etc. She said he doesn't seem to be struggling to breathe at all and it's good that he is feeding so well as once the baby is latched, given the choice between breathing and feeding obviously he would come off if he couldn't breathe and he stays latched for whole feeds. His oxygen sats were perfect.

Thanks everyone.

ledkr Mon 08-Aug-11 13:26:48

So pleased just dont hesitate to call them again if worried.My baby had other signs low sats etc. glad all is well x

BettyBum Mon 08-Aug-11 14:05:06

Thanks ledkr! Was dreading you saying, that was the case with my baby too, go back! Sorry to hear about what happened to your LO but glad all is ok. Glad I have gone for the reassurance. I think DS is over the worst as has had the spots for 3 days now. Glad I went to doc as I was being way too careful with the calpol and hardly giving him any and today she reassured me and advised I keep him dosed up as he may be feeling grotty. He hasn't done the grunting thing in a while now, typical! A lot of it seems to be when he is stretching or filling his nappy but gosh it's so loud!!

ledkr Mon 08-Aug-11 17:31:44

Just look out for the skinny bit between ribs and tummy where you can see her breathing,if it looks too laboured go back. Saying that as soon as they listened to my baby's chest they knew so if its clear then all well,thank god.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now