Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Growth Hormone Treatment

(3 Posts)
StarsAreShining Sun 07-Aug-11 19:56:26

My son is undergoing his last test for growth hormone deficiency tomorrow. They're certain that he has this deficiency, but have to be sure. I haven't really been told much about the treatment, other than it will be a nightly injection with an epipen.

He's already terrified of going to the hospital after a few very bad experiences there, and I know it'll be a struggle with the injections at first. I was just wondering whether anybody else could talk to me about it. Whether it hurts and how much it hurts, how their children have reacted to it and how exactly you use the pen. I was told that a nurse will come to my house to show me how to use it, but I'd just like a general idea now. From what I've read, it seems that you have to hold it in for ten seconds and I really don't like the sound of this sad

Woofsaidtheladybird Sun 07-Aug-11 22:12:57

Have pm'd you smile

ggirl Sun 07-Aug-11 22:27:03

If I remember correctly they are like insulin pens not epipens.
The needle is much much thinner and relatively painfree .
The pen is really easy to use and yes you should leave it in for 10secs to ensure the drug doesn't leak out when you withdraw the pen.
Honestly it will be much easier than you are imagining.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now