Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any positive stories about adenotonsillectomy please?

(40 Posts)
TarkaLiotta Sun 07-Aug-11 09:15:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFowlAndThePussycat Sun 07-Aug-11 09:28:10

Sorry, no advice but want to mark my place. Dd2 who is 2.3 has this I am sure. We were refered by one of the top paediatricians in our area when she was 1 yo but the ENT shrugged off all her symptoms with 'they aren't the biggest tonsils I've seen'.
She doesn't breathe through her nose, snores like a train, wakes 2or3 times a night and has constant cold/coughs/tonsillitis. She is small for her age too.

I took her to the GP for the last bout of tonsillitis but was told that she'll grow out of them (the tonsils) soon. Should I insist on another referral to a different ENT?

Sorry to hijack, I just want to take the chance to ask as I'm not getting any help from GP! Thanks.

changeforthebetter Sun 07-Aug-11 09:30:00

Not DCs - but me when I was about 7. I must have had endless bouts of tonsilitis. I was a wuss a delicate child and found the whole thing absolutely fine - especially the ice cream to soothe a sore throat smile. I had to stay overnight and that didn't even bother me. Is it a day procedure now?

I am pretty well, all told (about 14lbs too well, IYSWIM wink)

I hope it goes well for you all smile

GreenTeapot Sun 07-Aug-11 09:37:15

Can't post massive detail just now because my 10 month old has woken up and is currently playing "buses" with my 4 year old, and there will be tears shortly grin

DS had this op at 3.10 and like you, it took a long time to get to the stage of being diagnosed.

Since the op he's gone from waking at least once virtually every night to waking maybe 2 nights a week. He's sleeping much more deeply, breathes more easily, doesn't snore, is pinker, more rested (and less hyper) and has really gained weight. He's troubled by mesenteric adenitis which still wakes him sometimes but in general things are much better.

The recovery was tough for a week. There are loads of threads on here - search for Elibean's posts - which will give you tips, but the overall thing is to give pain meds extremely regularly and on time. It is painful for them to swallow but if they don't swallow the meds they're even more painful. For a while we were having to force them into DS sad and he was in an awful lot of pain, but it was probably only that bad for 2 or 3 days.

I don't mean to worry you but you may want to discuss this study about obesity with the surgeon. It didn't make me want to change my mind about surgery - it still needs done - but I am vigilant about DS's diet because I could see within 2 months of the op that he'd got slightly chubby. A combination of being indulged after the op, and eating being easier and quicker without massive tonsils in the way!

Overall it has been a positive thing. I'm happy to answer any questions, DS's op was nearly 3 months ago now and I can remember most of the stuff I think smile

TarkaLiotta Sun 07-Aug-11 10:43:43

GreenTeapot Sun 07-Aug-11 11:16:29

Yes, the behaviour is what we found hardest. DS is one of those children who gets faster and crazier when he's tired. So lots of crashing around, not listening, being in a hyper world of his own. ADHD is linked to poor sleep, did you know?

He's definitely been easier to live with since the op smile, and I think he's happier.

We only got referred to ENT after our HV got involved - the GP had given DS a clean bill of health when I took him to ask about physical causes of poor sleep ("true sleep apnoea is vanishingly rare in children" hmm) so we embarked on rapid return based on the assumption that DS's constant waking was a behavioural problem. When we were still having tearful battles 4 weeks later the HV asked me to make a GP appointment and she phoned them ahead of it to, um, fight our corner a bit. Referral made, no questions asked.

TarkaLiotta Sun 07-Aug-11 12:33:20

Elibean Sun 07-Aug-11 13:28:39

Oh YES YES YES. Very positive.

My dd2 had sleep apnoea (and was barely eating solids anymore) and had adenotonsillectomy aged just barely 2. It changed our lives. I still feel so sad when I see photos of her before the op, pale and thin with dark circles under her eyes. Obviously the first week or so after the op is hard - pain levels vary hugely, but dd also had a snip in her larynx (to expand it, as she had floppy larynx as well as huge tonsils/adenoids) and a lot of pain post-op. We stayed on top of it with very regular meds and ice lollies, and within two weeks she was starting to eat again - within a month she was so very much better in every way.

A month later again, and I can see from the photos how much she'd changed - no more apnoea, much less snoring, far better appetite and she is now like the Energizer Bunny: ten times more energy than her big sister!

Re recovery after surgery: do give meds a few minutes before you're meant to, so pain doesn't get on top of them iyswim. We were told nurofen/paracetamol, but dd refused to swallow for several days - so we asked for suppositories (which I could actually insert while she slept, for the night meds - I set my alarm, even though she was in my bed!) and got given paracetamol and Voltarol.

They will tell you to give 'rough' foods immediately, like toast or crisps, and amazingly they don't seem to hurt more than smooth stuff. Things like pasta or mash can be far worse - they 'stick' to the sore places. We had a few days when she wouldn't eat at all, and ice lollies were a godsend for hydration. Or iced water.

Some kids have far, far less pain - so this is all worst case scenario smile

Do look out for bleeding/fever for a couple of days and take her back to A&E if either happens, although that said the second night after the op dd did run a fever - 38 degrees - and I panicked and rang Consultant, who said it was pretty normal and as long as no bleeding and went down by next morning, not to worry. It did go down, and never went up again.

What else can I remember....take spare tops for you and for her, when you go to hospital, as its hot and sweaty and they are sometimes sick after op (dd wasn't).

Its not fun for anyone, but its so so so worth it, I promise. Do post if you have any worries during whole process, lots of MNers been through it - I had a lot of hand holding! Good luck smile

Elibean Sun 07-Aug-11 13:45:52

Just read other posts - had only read OP to start with - and just wanted to add, its very possibly that some of your dd's behaviour is also down to having a little brother, as well. Especially the clingy stuff....I do remember with dd1, it took a few months for the reaction to come out (as if she spent the first few weeks expecting this time-consuming, mummy-consuming little baby to go away again) and then she went through a sort of grieving process.

But the apnoea in itself is huge - she will be much better able to cope with life in every way if she's getting enough sleep (don't we all!).

btw, I was rushing before, sounded as though dd had just had op two months ago - its actually well over two years since she had it, and I still think it was life changing.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 07-Aug-11 14:32:26

Loads of good advice here Tarka <waves to Elibean smile>

Two of my three have had this surgery Tarka and ds2 was very like your dd. We had an horrendous couple of years with him; sleep apnoea, night terrors, tantrums, headbanging, clingy - the child from hell frankly and we were on the road to having him assessed for his behavioural issues. Cue the surgery and TBH it was like waving a magic wand. It wasn't immediately fantastic but there was a very fast improvement in him and he was a different child within a few short months.

Good luck!

Elibean Sun 07-Aug-11 17:22:15

smile waves back

(see, Tarka, that hand holding I was telling you about? Lots of it from Saggars!)

TarkaLiotta Sun 07-Aug-11 18:51:54

TarkaLiotta Sun 07-Aug-11 18:53:46

Elibean Sun 07-Aug-11 19:52:15

Ah, Tarka, no way is it down to being rubbish parents, though smile of recognition at that kind of thinking when parenting one exhausted three year old.

Yes, its normal at 3, and its normal when one has a new sibling, and its very normal with sleep apnoea. Don't underestimate the impact of sleep apnoea, its dreadful. As is imagining doctors chopping bits off any PB, F or otherwise - also normal!

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 07-Aug-11 19:54:59

Born, bred and still here Tarka smile

I intially put some of ds2's behaviour down to the arrival of his sister who came with her own set of issues that mean't he probably didn't get the attention he deserved. But looking back he was struggling way before that.

Do let us know how you get on.

Elibean Mon 08-Aug-11 17:05:37

Good luck for tomorrow, Tarka smile

mummytowillow Mon 08-Aug-11 21:58:33

My daughter had her adenoids out and grommets today! I was worried sick about how she would be about the op, she created hell about the 'magic' cream and we couldn't get it on! Anaesthetist said she would be upset with whatever she had injection or gas, so we went for gas, took literally seconds and she was asleep!

Recovery she was very distressed, but was frightened as she didn't know anyone. But she hasn't complained about pain at all, in fact you would think she hasn't had anything done!! smile

I know its not entirely the same op, but good luck anyway!

GreenTeapot Mon 08-Aug-11 22:06:53

Thinking of you - good luck smile

TheFowlAndThePussycat Tue 09-Aug-11 19:10:56

Hope everything went well today Tarka.

TarkaLiotta Wed 10-Aug-11 21:10:21

GreenTeapot Thu 11-Aug-11 07:15:44

Good to hear it all went smoothly Tarka. Hunker down, get the next few days over with and you'll start to see the benefits. Sending her a big cuddle and an ice pop smile

Elibean Thu 11-Aug-11 11:54:59

Glad its all over (and for you, mummytowillow) smile

dd was hysterical in recovery, not knowing anyone, pain, and also apparently the actual anaesthetic drugs can have that effect (?). I still feel a bit angry that they didn't let me be there when she was coming round, but at least she doesn't remember anything about it - they were right about that part!

Hope recovery comes in leaps and bounds - don't worry if she seems to have a bit more pain after 3-5 days, its normal, just scabs coming off/healing process.

TarkaLiotta Thu 11-Aug-11 21:25:17

GreenTeapot Thu 11-Aug-11 21:38:11

Yes! DS smelled like something had died in there for a good week. Vile!

Glad to hear she's doing OK so far smile

TarkaLiotta Thu 11-Aug-11 21:58:55

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now