Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dd fell off pony

(24 Posts)
mumof2rugrats Sat 06-Aug-11 21:36:19

dd was thrown of her pony today first time shes fallen off and she hurt her wrist she has been complaning it hurts since but can use it iv sent her to bed and is going to see how she is with tomorrow. could it be a chipped bone or just a spran would she still be able to use it if its chipped.

mymumdom Sat 06-Aug-11 21:38:40

Even if she can use her arm, she could still have broken or cracked a bone. If it's still sore tomorrow, get her checked out.

Marne Sat 06-Aug-11 21:40:52

Did she put her hand out as she fell? could be a bad sprain or a break, i would get it checked out. Hope she's ok and i hope it hasn't put her off riding (get her back on ASAP).

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Sat 06-Aug-11 21:44:23

I'd take her to A &E or the minor injuries unit just to be sure. It's quite common to break /strain your wrists in riding accidents as you're falling from height and tend to put your hands out to save yourself.

MrsRhettButler Sat 06-Aug-11 21:45:59

Is it swollen? Tbh I would have taken her to a&e jus to be sure

MrsRhettButler Sat 06-Aug-11 21:47:54

Dd had a broken finger for a week that I didn't know she had, I got a bollocking from the nurse at the hospital when I took her in but to be fair she hadn't complained that it hurt at all but it had been slightly swollen at the time

mumof2rugrats Sat 06-Aug-11 21:48:37

when she fell she landed on her side and put her hand down i was going to see how she sleeps and take her to a&e in the morning. we put her back on him once we caught the little fecker she was very tearful after but was fine to ride again .

mumof2rugrats Sat 06-Aug-11 21:51:10

no its not swollen .

Marne Sat 06-Aug-11 21:51:18

Take her in the morning (a&e will be a night-mare on a sat night, no place for a child), see how it looks in the morning.

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Sat 06-Aug-11 21:53:14

Hey mumrugrat (your SIS here!)

See how she is tomorrow, watch her closely (especially.when she thinks you are not watching) kids will use their arm if they can rather than struggle one handed if it doesn't hurt too much iyswim?

I broke my wrist falling off Sunny and didn't go to the hospital til after school the next day, it was sore but ok. Better she gets some sleep than hang around a&e on a Saturday night smile

HerdOfTinyElephants Sat 06-Aug-11 21:55:08

I fractured a wrist and could still use it. I'd leave it until the morning, then if it still hurts take her to A&E to get it checked out.

mumof2rugrats Sat 06-Aug-11 21:58:15

hello sis hector was a right sod today i couldnt get near him even walking GM and liz was having lunch and it was me and katie on connor in the school every time i walked towards him he trotted off and started bucking dd held on quite well for a while but then fell sue came down and helpped and once we caught him we made dd get back on and walk round the school.
dd is using her arm slightly but any touch of it makes her well up . stupid bloody pony lol

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Sun 07-Aug-11 07:06:19

Little bugger!

Hope she is ok smile

mumof2rugrats Sun 07-Aug-11 08:29:59

she was whimpering in her sleep a bit but dont know if it was bad dreams she has got up this morning holding her wrist and said her body aches im going to find the out of hrs docs as im thinking kids a&e could be full of rugby aand football injurys this morning .

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Sun 07-Aug-11 08:35:11

If you go, go now, it will be the quietest, most sports start around 10ish

bellavita Sun 07-Aug-11 08:37:03

She needs it x-raying.

DS1 had an accident when he was at primary school. They rang and asked me to go down. His wrist was not swollen in e slightest and he said it only hurt when he moved it, ie not constant pain.

He had a double fracture and a chip to a bone too.

mumof2rugrats Sun 07-Aug-11 18:16:18

my poor lil dd im a bad mummy she has a small fracture and is now in a cast for 3-4 weeks sad

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Sun 07-Aug-11 18:37:31

Don't be soft! If you are happy for kids to do sports you have to accept that injuries happen sometimes. You sensibly waited til the next day as she wasn't in agony/in life threatening condition, made the decision to take her today, she was seen, has a cast, it will heal and all be ok. That makes you a sensible mum smile

Marne Sun 07-Aug-11 22:23:37

Don't feel guilty, not your fault at all, these things happen ( a girl i used to ride with seemed to be always falling off and getting fractures, her arm and then her collar bone), at leat you now know its a fracture, she will be fine and will be back riding in a few weeks. I had to take my dd to A&E, she smashed her face on the door step, i panicked and rushed her in, of course dhe was fine, nothing the could really do other than reasure me. Children have accidents and sometimes its hard for us to judge if they need a trip to A&E or not, sometimes its best to wait, you did the right thing, taking her last night would have been hell in A&E.

mumof2rugrats Mon 08-Aug-11 07:54:59

thanks
does havingh a cast on make it hurt more as dd has been moaaning more since havng it on .

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Mon 08-Aug-11 08:04:37

Casts are uncomfortable and very restrictive

mrswoodentop Mon 08-Aug-11 08:31:40

Casts are uncomfortable to start with but she will soon get used to it.The modern ones are pretty light,within a few days you will be amazed at how much she can do with it.Everywhere we go at the minute there seems to be someone in a cast

mumof2rugrats Mon 08-Aug-11 13:17:51

we went to the park today and she was climbing trees and climbing frames like nothing was wrong

Marne Mon 08-Aug-11 14:41:42

Glad she's feeling better and climbing trees, 3 weeks will fly by and she will soon be out of the cast smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now