Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bananas and vomiting

(5 Posts)
Whathashappenedtomyboobs Sat 06-Aug-11 21:24:40

Hi, a week or so ago I gave my DS some banana, about 30 mins later he was sick. Since then I've steered clear, however this afternoon OH gave DS banana again and he's been sick again, this time it was about an hour after.

After the first time I did call the doctor, as it was quite a bit of sick, and he said babies that are being weaned sometimes just get too full and vomit. Since then I've switched to BLW and only offered small amounts of food so this doesnt happen, but after today I'm beginning to think he has an allergy to bananas (heard they are part of the nut family). Has anyone else experienced this?

Will post this in the weaning section if needed. Sorry just very worried about DS x

Seona1973 Sat 06-Aug-11 22:09:23

banana allergy is linked to latex allergy. Info from online:

Around half of all people with latex allergy have allergic reactions when eating particular foods, including avocado, banana, chestnut, kiwifruit, passionfruit, plum, strawberry and tomato. This is because some of the proteins in latex that cause latex allergy are also present in these fruits. Common symptoms include tingling in the mouth, stuffy nose, itchy eyes and wheezing.

mumatron Sat 06-Aug-11 22:25:36

My ds was the same as a baby. he would vomit really thick gunk after eating bananas. it was so bad he would choke on it.

he seems to have grown out of it now, he is ten. he doesn't particularily like them but doesn't have the bad reactions iyswim.

take him to gp if you are concerned.

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Sun 07-Aug-11 07:05:12

Thanks I'm going to take him to the GP on Monday an get him checked out x

cardamomginger Sun 07-Aug-11 19:22:50

DD (10 months) throws up after banana, but can eat the other foods that seona mentions. I assumed it was because the texture of mashed banana can be a bit gloopy and slimy and she was reacting to that. But will mention it to doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now