Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

frequency of visits to dentist for DS

(4 Posts)
christine34 Sat 06-Aug-11 14:36:44

Hi, my DS is 14 and I've just realised we've gone 9 months instead of our usual 6 monthly checkup at dentist (now booked in for next week)! My friend said she "can't believe" I've left it 9 months and now I feel like a bad mother! As I said, we usually go religiously every 6 months (and hygienist)! He has no cavities to date and is pretty good with his teeth.... how often do your teens go now? Thanks!!

Seona1973 Sat 06-Aug-11 17:09:11

as long as he has been brushing properly and looking after his teeth then a 9 month break should be fine. It ended up being near enough a year between check ups for me and the 2 kids (age 4 and 7) as we hadnt got a reminder letter and I kept forgetting to phone for an appointment and all our teeth were fine (I just need a scale and polish). Some dentists leave a year between check ups as standard

Seona1973 Sat 06-Aug-11 17:11:07

p.s. the nhs website says children should be seen at least once a year.

christine34 Sat 06-Aug-11 17:53:40

Thanks, Seona, your post was very reassuring (!) and interesting that NHS website says at least once a year.... my son is very hard on himself and I know that if he ever needed a filling, he would be gutted, so hope we go on as we have so far...! Thanks again. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now