Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Allergic Reaction

(7 Posts)
craziedaisy Thu 04-Aug-11 20:57:26

DD (20 months) recently had a allergic reaction to something she had eaten. Her mouth was very itchy and her eyes became swollen. She developed hives all over her body and was quite distressed. We gave her piriton straight away and took her to A&E. Within the hour the Piriton had helped so they just observed her for another 45 mins befor sending her home. The GP at the out of hours suggested that we saw our own GP for advice.

I made an appointment this week and was seen by a locum. He was very uninterested and said there was no further action required. I pointed out that DS had recently had blood tests done for allergies and wondered if DD could have the same. He said that the surgery wouldn't do blood tests for a child her age and suggested that if I wanted any further investigations done I would have to take her privately! I am wondering if it is fish she is allergic to but don't want to test the theory because it was quite a reaction.

Do you think I should push further?

SilveryMoon Thu 04-Aug-11 20:59:21

If it were me, I would probably push further.
I would also start a food diary, and if I suspected it was fish, steer clear for a while.

How old is your dd?

nellymoo Thu 04-Aug-11 21:23:11

Oh dear, you too have encountered the same doctor that practically all we mothers of allergic children have had to deal with!

It is not true that your DD's age is prohibitive to allergy testing, my own DD was IgE Blood tested at 10 weeks old, and every 6 months since...

You really will have to insist on a referral. It is not reasonable to assume it was a one -off, as I am sure you know (and so should he!) that subsequent reactions may well be more severe. Fish is a common allergen, what else did she have in that meal? It might be a good idea to start very detailed food diary (really, look at every single ingredient, and note it) for your DD as any Paediatrician will probably ask you to do this anyway.

Get yourself over to the Allergy board, there are some very helpful, and experienced parents over there.

good luck!

dikkertjedap Thu 04-Aug-11 21:38:59

Very important to identify the cause because it is possible that at the next exposure the reaction is more severe. You can't take that risk. It is my understanding that a simple bloodtest will enable doctors to find the allergen as she has had exposure already. If you cannot get it on the NHS and if you can afford it then I would consider private. Professor Weinberg in the Portland Hospital is very good. Often the allergy is against a certain protein, e.g. nuts or peanuts or dairy or eggs or seafood (oysters, mussels, scampi, crab, prawns etc etc) or gluten. Allergies should be taken very seriously, they can be life threatening. So wherever you go, I would always take piriton with you.

StrangewaysHereICome Thu 04-Aug-11 21:54:20

I would definitely push harder. My DD had a similar reaction to a peanut butter sandwich when she was a year old. It was an instant reaction so I knew it was the peanuts she was allergic to. I did the same as you, gave piriton and went to A&E. They too sent us home and said to visit GP. The GP was uninterested and it was only after seeking advice on here that I went back and insisted on a prescription for an Epipen. I was given one, when you are meant to have two and I wasn't trained on how to administer it. I eventually got to speak to a GP who was interested, and gave me two epipens and referred her for testing. She is allergic to peanuts and is at risk of anaphylactic shock.

Please don't be fobbed off, it is very important you find out what your DD is allergic to so you can take steps to avoid it.

Humourme Thu 04-Aug-11 21:58:44

I had similar situation with my child at that age - doctors don't seem to take it so seriously esp in preschool years - I frequently came up against the "they grow out of it" brigade. At my son's preschool check I lost my patience and said that I wasn't going to send him to school until a proper investigation had taken place - the subsequent blood test proved he was allergic to peanuts. Still came up against sceptics and had further more extensive tests at hospital aged 9 where he went into severe shock. My advice is; stay strong, trust your instincts and insist on the tests - remember the NHS is a service we pay for and don't be pushed around. If you are prescribed epipens make sure you get the correct ones for age and weight and at least 2 -or 4 if you leave your child at a school/playgroup etc- for a long time I was walking around with the wrong ones and insufficient quantity (one may not always work) until I finally got a consultant who was on the ball.

It is worrying Craziedaisy but you do learn to live with it and get the fear into perspective. There is also a lot of research in the field of allergies so maybe one day we can all be free of the worrysmile

craziedaisy Thu 04-Aug-11 22:27:51

Thanks for all your replies. I will go back to my GP now you have all agreed that I have a case. I actually have a severe allergy to peanuts myself so know the complications. I have had to put with rude comments and disbelievers all my life. Used to have work collegues who thought it was funny to suggest Russian roulette with revels! I really felt as though GP thought I was a over protective mother and he looked appalled when I told him I was still breastfeeding her at 20 months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now