Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Extra, extra large baby...

(13 Posts)
BUnderTheBonnet Thu 04-Aug-11 20:27:12

Hi,
I have an extra large baby. Seriously. DD2 is enormous. She's 5mo and above the top line on the percentile charts. And about 75th centile for length.

She's fully bf, so I don't think it's a cause for concern, but I would like people to tell me I haven't made my baby obese (or that I have ... eek!) or if I could/should be doing anything different.

As she's so large, she's difficult to keep clean (in her wrinkles - knees, wrists, chins) and some advice here would be appreciated too smile

Also, is it likely to mean she'll be slower to move? She's showing no signs of anything like rolling yet, and DD1 was quite a wriggler by this age.

TIA!

thisisyesterday Thu 04-Aug-11 20:35:41

ds2 was giganta-baby too

he's 3.5 now and 50th centile for height and weight! in fact, i worry now and then that he isn't fat enough.

babies are supposed to be fat, more cuddly that way grin

BUnderTheBonnet Thu 04-Aug-11 20:43:46

Thanks! It's just a bit of a shock as DD1 was a bit of a tiddler and I've done nothing different.

She is cuddly grin

levantine Thu 04-Aug-11 20:53:40

My DS2 was enormous at that age and fairly average looking at 10 months. He's been in the same sleepsuits for about five months, he just stopped growing so fast at some point.

He crawled fairly early too - good strong fat legs!

StrangewaysHereICome Thu 04-Aug-11 22:15:14

Hellooooooo Bunder <wistfully thinks back to the antenatal thread we shared so long ago ...>

DS is a blubber monster too .. he is BF and at 5 months is in 9-12 months clothes. At 17 weeks he was over 18lbs and tbh is making my backache lifting him in and out of the cot and car!! One lady argued with me in a shop when she asked how old he was and I told her, she said he couldn't be (he was 3 months at the time). I did point out I remember giving birth to him wink.

I shouldn't worry, I do love chubby babies. DS's weight gain is easing a bit now, he was 98th centile and now has dropped to 91st. You're giving your DD the best start in life and should be very proud that you're providing all she needs.

As for creases, I find DS's get a bit pink if I am not scrupulous at drying him after a bath. I do have to get stuck in a bit to get them clean, especially his chin/s! I normally put a bit of vaseline in them or if they look a bit sore sudocrem seems to work a treat. It's the back of his ears that seem to get the angriest.

He can't roll yet either, I think gravity is getting the better of him! My DD2 was very slow at everything, sitting up at 11 months, crawling at 14 months and walking at 22 months - lazy toad! But looking at her now (shes nearly 5) there is no difference with her and her peers. So I am not worried in that respect - he's a happy chap.

Be proud and you've nothing to worry about, unless you are sneaking her the odd deep fried Mars bar!!

BUnderTheBonnet Fri 05-Aug-11 19:32:54

Thanks everyone!

strangeways am I not supposed to be giving her mars bars???? I'm sure I saw on Facebook that it was fine.... grin

ShowOfHands Fri 05-Aug-11 19:36:36

DD was born on the 50th centile and by 3 months was off the charts for weight and length. She had rolls on rolls on rolls. She was exclusively bf to demand. It was her length that was relevant, she was just going to be tall.

She's 4yo now, 91st centile for height and weight and is slim, tall, strong and muscular. Not an ounce of fat on her.

And she rolled and crawled as normal and walked at 11 months so it didn't hold her back.

madmomma Thu 18-Aug-11 22:05:18

she sounds gorgeous!

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 18-Aug-11 22:14:26

She sounds lovely smile

Both of mine have been chunky monkeys grin DD was 9lb 12 oz born and off the centiles for both length and weight. She is 4 now and is tall and strong but not at all fat.

DS was 10lb 5 oz and at his 5 day check, he'd gone up to 11lb 11oz. He is 20 months now and is big and sturdy (but not fat). He has been in 3-4 clothes for the last couple of months. He walked at 10.5 months.

The best thing I found for getting into the "rolls" for cleaning purposes is to get into a deep bath with them. It just made it easier to get to everything if you're sitting behind them and can reach round with a flannel etc.

LargeGlassofRed Thu 18-Aug-11 22:31:15

Dd1 was off the charts for weight and height, she looked like a little sumo bless, she is 11 now and very tall and slim.
When she was a baby I had to keep taking her back to hospital to be weighed and measured they made me paranoid about over feeding her!
She still eats masses but is 5,7 and a size 10 so it's just the way she is, gorgeous.

alison222 Thu 18-Aug-11 22:32:18

my two were large babies when born and then were VERY chubby babies. Now they are tall and thin in fact DS is positively skinny and I can't seem to put an ounce on him - He is going to stay like that I think. Usually they do stretch out

tleaf Fri 19-Aug-11 19:08:08

Useful tips we were given by the prem baby care unit were to (1)pat dry then rub baby oil all over baby's skin especially in all folds and creases including ears (2) dry delicate or inflamed skin, scars etc with hair-dryer on low setting. Enjoy your bouncing bundles of joy!

NormaSnorks Fri 19-Aug-11 19:11:40

Don't panic!

DS1 was 10lb 3 oz at birth and on the 98th percentile for both weight and height (so in perfection proportion^ grin)

Everyone kept saying how big he was hmm and waht was I feeding him (BF.....)

Anyway, he is STILL 98th percentile, and he has just turned...
YEARS OLD!

(In other words, don't worry...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now