Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Head lice

(14 Posts)
ChablisLover Tue 02-Aug-11 21:34:25

Think I have just found our first head lice infection.

Apart from completely over reacting, what are the best things to do?

Can't see any of them but can see little White/caramel sacks. Got about ten of these out of ds hair.

He goes to cm - should I tell her tomorrow so she can deal with it at her end and let the other parents know.

First time ever dealing with this so a wee bit scared and unsure what to do.

All advice gratefully received.

Thank you.

puzzlesum Tue 02-Aug-11 21:43:35

Poor you. I bloody hate headlice, horrible feckers..

I'm not sure about the cm, I'm sure you should tell her so the other parents can check their little ones too.

There are lots of different treatments recommended on Mumsnet; mine is Hedrin, preferably the hour long stuff, as the 8-hour stuff is a faff and the 15-min one doesn't seem to work in my experience. Backed up by a Nitty Gritty comb.

Best of luck - hopefully you will soon be free of the little blighters!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 02-Aug-11 21:45:32

Definitely get a Nitty Gritty Comb.

I would let your CM know so that she can let the parents of her other charges know.

minxofmancunia Tue 02-Aug-11 21:47:59

try hedrin and the nitty gritty then conditioner and nitty gritty every other day for a week or so.

Once you are sure you are clear use a custom made nit repellent shampoo with tea tree in it.

We couldn't get rid of them from dds hair ( v thick long and curly) then started using a circle of friends one with leave in conditioner spray from the same range and they haven't come back.

Touch wood! Good luck!

Seona1973 Tue 02-Aug-11 22:03:13

I dont think you are supposed to use a treatment unless you find live lice. I would comb with conditioner and a nit comb - if you find lice then treat. Check everyone in the family. Everyone always raves about the nitty gritty but I find it a bit cumbersome and the prongs are too long too.

ChablisLover Tue 02-Aug-11 22:09:00

Have just ordered the nitty gritty

Am up to high doe though about the whole thing.

Think I am annoyed at the idea of something crawling over us iyswim.

DH thinks I am over reacting and comes out with useful things like adults don't get them etc etc.

Any other advice or tips much appreciated.

puzzlesum Tue 02-Aug-11 22:14:34

I don't want to freak you out but adults can get them. You do need to treat the whole family. You're not overreacting, it's horrible (especially the first time) although obviously better than having, for example, smallpox or leprosy if that's your DH's point of comparison!

QueenOfFeckingEverything Tue 02-Aug-11 22:18:55

Adults don't get them my arse !!

You need to treat everyone at the same time or it'll just be reinfestation hell.

Combing is best. They just get immune to the chemicals.

puzzlesum Tue 02-Aug-11 22:21:44

Queen - my understanding is that Hedrin smothers the little buggers, which they obviously can't build up an immunity to. Combing kinder on the noggin, of course.

ChablisLover Tue 02-Aug-11 22:23:46

I know adults get them - any sensible person would but DH isn;t the most, how shall we put it, sensible person.

He really isn't knowledgeable about health matters - if it doesn;t affect him he doesn't need to know about it is his point of view.

Am going to strip beds etc tomorrow and give them a good going over with the hoover.

Will wash hats etc.

What about stuffed toys, hairbrushes etc

Have read so many conflicting things on the internet.

Really am clueless at the mo

puzzlesum Tue 02-Aug-11 22:31:20

I would take your cue from NHS Choices which says "There is no need to wash or fumigate clothing or bedding that comes into contact with head lice." That said, if it will make you feel better, I'd do it anyway.

ChablisLover Wed 03-Aug-11 19:19:47

So been through hair with fine tooth (nit) comb and only found one wee cysty type thing like I saw last night.

Do I still treat with hedrin?

Had to bribe with fireman Sam and ice cream and even then turned into a screaming match.

QueenOfFeckingEverything Wed 03-Aug-11 19:29:49

Oh yes sorry they can't get immune to being suffocated grin

ChablisLover Wed 03-Aug-11 21:35:11

Thanks

Do that tomorrow - thought after the crying match I couldn't make it worse.

Dh is coming out with strange things. Is now my fault for having feather pillows!!!! Parents always had feather pillows and we never had them as kids

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now