Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Its hot this week. How to cool a young baby?

(7 Posts)
Patopopo Tue 02-Aug-11 19:45:30

I've got a six week old baby in a very hot London flat.
Its 28.5c in our flat right now at 19:40. Tomorrow's forecast is for +30c which means an even hotter home.

-How can I keep the baby safe and cool? We don't have air conditioning or an electric fan.

-And what are safe limits? I know the ideal temperature is 16-20 but how hot can it get before it becomes dangerous for a baby?

ChristinedePizan Tue 02-Aug-11 19:48:42

Damp towels/flannels hung round the room, no clothing bar a nappy. Can you buy a fan tomorrow?

Can you open windows and get a through draft going? That should help.

cardamomginger Tue 02-Aug-11 19:51:51

DD always loves a luke-warm bath.

Happygomummy Tue 02-Aug-11 19:53:26

one way to lower temperature by a degree or even two is to soak and wring a towel and leave it hanging over a clothes horse. heat energy is used up in evaporating the water in the towel. we left the bottom of the towel dipped into a baby bath full of water so the towel didn't dry out overnight.

if you can get an electric fan all the better

and even better (obviously) is an aircon - we got the delonghi nf170 is a Which? best buy - it works miracles - our boys' bedroom goes down to around 20 (from high 20's) in 15 mins or so.

Patopopo Tue 02-Aug-11 20:30:23

Thanks for all the good ideas. I will try the soaking trick.

Any ideas on the upper safe limits on temperatures. I know the ideal guides are between 16-20c but does anyone know what the safe upper temperatures limits are.

No doubt in much hotter countries babies have to deal with this all the time.

ShowOfHands Tue 02-Aug-11 20:39:39

I don't think safe upper temps are often published because as you say in very hot countries it's much hotter than here.

I keep blinds drawn during the hottest part of the day and always have air circulating with windows open to create a through draught or a fan on in the room. Baby in a nappy and lots and lots of fluids. Breastmilk will change its own composition in the heat to provide adequate water.

stealthsquiggle Tue 02-Aug-11 20:42:16

If you can beg/borrow/buy a fan, then fan + damp towel works really well.

Cotton sheet, no covers (or a thin sheet if LO doesn't like no cover) and just a nappy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now