Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

how to not get dismissed by doctor?

(14 Posts)
drawingalinebehindme Tue 02-Aug-11 11:19:33

ds(21m) has had cough for 10 days and docs this afternoon as i'm not happy to continiuously give medicine, my problem is i'm a whimp and everytime i've taken ds to docs(once for rash and one for cough last year) i've been dismissed and written off as pfb and i leave feeling red faced and a inch tall.

If i dont give medicine ds coughs til he is sick, his chest sounds full of muck and altho he still seems himself is also off his food.

Should i be trying to stand my ground(i'm thinking maybe a chest infection?) or am i just being ott??

AMumInScotland Tue 02-Aug-11 11:28:57

Make sure you know the facts and get them across - he has been this bad for x days now (is it improving? has it been getting worse?). You have given him x medicine, done this and that to try to help, but it is not getting better.

He coughs till he's sick and you don't like the sound of his chest/breathing - the doc should at least listen to his chest with a stethoscope to see if it is an infection.

Sometimes the doc won't be able to do anything, but they should at least listen to you and take your concerns seriously before they tell you there's nothing to worry about, not send you off without paying attention.

Good luck!

ElbowFan Tue 02-Aug-11 11:53:23

Never be put off going for advice when you are concerned.
If you feel you have been dismissed ask how long you should leave symptoms another time before seeking advice and see what response you get.
If your doctor is not prepared to listen to your concerns then it is maybe time to see a different one.

nightcat Tue 02-Aug-11 12:49:44

I always found best response if I came up with suggestions/ideas what I wanted done next rather than leave it in the drs hands, eg whether I wanted any tests or referrals.
If you think about it, drs have a limited range of options - would you want a tablet or a referral, if so, what exactly? You could ask to check her chest or consider allergy/sensitivity. Try to spell out what you want if you can after you have maybe asked on here what others would do.
Eg, me, I would prob look into allergy/sensitivity scenario but I wouldn't ask for x-ray.

drawingalinebehindme Tue 02-Aug-11 18:09:43

Well, he didnt dismiss me, but he also didnt tell me what he thought and just handed me the prescription and said take it as and when, he prescribed a inhaler and chamber thingy for kiddies..(so does that mean he has asthma?)

Didnt look at me when he asked a question and interupted when i answered!!!

I am changing doctors!!

MyCatHasStaff Tue 02-Aug-11 18:14:25

Is the chamber thingy a humidifier? I had one for DS when he was small (actually still use it now sometimes) and it was brilliant when he had a cough - wasn't a cure but certainly worked wonders on the symptoms and helped him to not cough until he was sick.

ElbowFan Tue 02-Aug-11 18:42:00

Wise move to see a different doctor I think. You need to be able to ask whether the inhaler is for asthma, and whether this is something you will need a repeat prescription for.
Some docs seem to feel duty bound to just provide a prescription and you'll be happy and will go away. They never think you may like to know more about what they have prescribed and why. (The pharmacist may be able to tell you more about the medication and how best to use it.)
Hope DS improves soon

DeWe Tue 02-Aug-11 18:58:08

I assume the chamber thingy is a spacer? No it doens't mean he has asthma. All of mine have had inhalers at round about that age for persistant cough, it helped them at the time, but only one is asthmatic, and that mildly. I don't think they test for asthma until they're older (but I'm ready to be corrected on that).
I'd ask before you leave next time, I always question my doctor whenever he gives anything I don't understand, or is out of the normal.
I hope he listened to his chest to check for infection first though.

Sirzy Tue 02-Aug-11 19:07:54

That sounds like the normal course of action for a persistent cough and as pp said doesn't mean he has asthma.
Hope it works

drawingalinebehindme Tue 02-Aug-11 21:35:51

Hello again, yes the chamber thingy sounds like its just a spacer, it doesnt do anything fancy just gives the inhaler the accessory for the nose and mouth..

I did ask him if it was a repeat prescription and he just said as and when again.. (i feel the need to point out english isnt his 1st language)

The lady in the pharmacy showed me how to use it but if i'm honest i havent got a chance in hell of ds letting me put it over his face for 1 let alone 10 breaths!

Thank you all for not ripping me about being a useless twat!

Sirzy Tue 02-Aug-11 21:42:52

If push comes to shove give the inhaler while he is sleeping!!

Other hints -
- Let him play with the spacer, give mummy, teddies, cars anything the inhaler and then pretend to hold it over his face.
- give him something to hold while you give him the inhaler so his hands are distracted
- make sure when you hold it over his face you dont cover his eyes, DS is great now taking his inhaler but if he cant see he hates it.
- I count to 10 when giving it, but I know others who sing - anything to distract him.

If push comes to shove I have been known to pin DS down and do it with him screaming, not nice but needs must.

Is it the thin tube like spacer he has ( like this www.aerochambervhc.com ) if not I would try to get one of these. When DS was first started on inhalers at 6 months he hated the spacer until we got the smaller one. He is 22 months now and unfortunately (or fortunately) is so used to his inhalers that he gets excited when he sees them!

Sidge Tue 02-Aug-11 22:02:58

I'd see another doctor.

To give you an inhaler and a spacer and not show you how to use them, or get the practice nurse to show you how to use them, is poor practice.

If you get nervous when you see a doctor you can always write down what you want to say/a list of concerns and hand it over when you go in!

drawingalinebehindme Tue 02-Aug-11 22:40:34

lol I DO get nervous!!

I will be moving doctors, I still feel like i have questions and lets face it your doctor shouldnt be leaving you feeling unsure when its your childrens health...and i need to get a grip to speak out too!

Sirsy yes it is one of those, the orange one!! and thank you for the tips. I think the sleep way would prob be the best way for the time being, but then that makes me ask more questions!

Thank you all again, god i love mn!!

Sidge Wed 03-Aug-11 09:27:56

drawingaline have a look here for a visual guide to how to give an inhaler via an aerochamber spacer - it's the bottom right one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now