Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Heart murmur

(5 Posts)
ForkInTheForeheid Mon 01-Aug-11 20:52:39

My 3.7 year old DS has recently had a heart murmur identified (initially by GP then confirmed by paediatrician today). We're being referred to cardiologist for her to listen and if needed do an echo.

Now both docs have said they think it sounds like it's probably an "innocent murmur" but paed today said if not it could be to do with a narrow pulmonary artery? He said this is not a particularly serious condition and shouldn't cause DS problems if it turns out to be the case but I just wondered if anyone knows of others that have been diagnosed with something similar? I'm not panicking or hysterical, fairly level-headed person, just would like some information from people who've experienced this. TIA.

DeWe Tue 02-Aug-11 20:54:19

I know a teenager with a heart murmur. She goes for a check up once a year and that's all it restricts her as far as I know. She does a lot of sports including long distance running.

mama2moo Wed 03-Aug-11 09:36:38

My 18mo dd has a heart murmur (as does my sister and MIL!). Dd's was found by accident as we saw a paed for her flat head and he found it.

She has had one heart scan and has another one booked for next year. I think they are quite common. My sister has a yearly heart scan and recently had a baby so it doesnt affect anything if it is innocent.

I hope your ds is ok x

Ebb Wed 03-Aug-11 17:15:04

My DS was diagnosed with a heart murmur at 9mths and diagnosed with an aortic stenosis soon after. He is now 3 and hasn't needed any treatment so far. He will need the valve stretched and eventually replaced. ( Hopefully he won't need the valve replaced til adulthood but will need it stretched before then. )

It is very worrying when you faced with your child having a potential heart condition. It's certainly got easier to deal with as time has gone by and DS shows absolutely no signs of having anything wrong with him.

The childrens heart federation and the British Heart Foundation are good places to get information from.

I hope your Ds is ok. smile

VictoriaMc77 Wed 03-Aug-11 17:16:25

Hi, I was diagnosed (many years ago!) with a heart murmur when I was a baby ... mine just naturally went away when I was a teenager. Never affected me, no heart scans etc, didn't really know it was there to be honest. Hope that reassures you. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now