Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Been swimming with a child with molluscum (sp) today

(32 Posts)
ScarlettIsWalking Mon 01-Aug-11 19:59:12

I had no idea the little girl had it until the mum told us when asked what the marks were on her child's tummy. She didn't seem too bothered about it but I am a little concerned.

How likely is it that DD will catch it?

LadyDamerel Mon 01-Aug-11 20:06:20

AFAIK, it's only contagious if one of the spots bursts and the fluid comes into contact with another person's skin.

DD has molluscum on her legs and passed it on to DS2 because they regularly share a bed but DS1 doesn't have it as he isn't in such close physical contact with DD.

I would think the chances of your DD catching it are very small if there was no direct skin contact between the girl's spotty area and your DD.

BitzyVonMuffling Mon 01-Aug-11 20:08:11

Actually I'll disagree and I would be really cross. We took my ds swimming when he was a small baby and he contracted molluscum from someone while we were there. OK, it's not harmful but it caused us no end of stress as he had such problems with his skin anywa. The mother shoudl know that it's incredibly contagious in water.

ScarlettIsWalking Mon 01-Aug-11 20:08:33

ok no, no direct skin contact as such. No towels or anything.

ScarlettIsWalking Mon 01-Aug-11 20:09:44

oh dear just read last post. sad

how long will I have to wait until we are in the clear?

Carrotsandcelery Mon 01-Aug-11 20:11:19

I was also cross to discover dd's best friend had shared a bed with her on several occasions when she had this andher mother had not warned us. She is a very good friend so it would have been easy to raise it with me without me freaking out and never speaking to her again.

BitzyVonMuffling Mon 01-Aug-11 20:13:25

I can't remember how long it took to appear tbh. But the first thing my GP asked is if we'd been swimming. I wouldn't worry too much, ds's spots were confined mostly to his armpit and dd never caught them, depsite sharing a bath. BUT I would speak to the mother tbh, and tell her not to take her dd swimming. It's not fair on anyone.

defineme Mon 01-Aug-11 20:13:30

A child with skin problems is different, but really it's not a big deal and I wouldn't dream of being cross about it.
Measles maybe, molluscum no way!

LadyDamerel Mon 01-Aug-11 20:15:37

'The chance of passing on the molluscum contagiosum virus to others is small, and it is not serious anyway. Therefore, there is no need to keep children with molluscum contagiosum off school, or away from swimming pools, gyms, etc, or away from other children.'

From here.

Carrotsandcelery Mon 01-Aug-11 20:16:44

defineme I should have pointed out that dd has skin problems. Luckily she didn't catch it but I still feel my friend should have told me.

ScarlettIsWalking Mon 01-Aug-11 20:18:30

I am a bit upset that she didn't at least let me know - we are good friends as are the girls but I obviously didn't study her body to look for these. She only mentioned it when another friend asked her -we were all together for a swim day- and it would have been v easy for her to let me know, esp as DD has skin problems in the past.

Oh well, just hope and pray.

vintageteacups Mon 01-Aug-11 20:27:25

DD has had MC for about 6 months. The virus has now cleared up in the original area (under arms and chest) and has now spread to her legs but is on its way out hopefully.

It can last 2 yrs so not taking the kids swimming for that length of time is a bit ott.

I took DD to the doc to confirm the MC and she said there was no need to not take to the pool as chances of catching it there were slim (even though where most people catch it!) and not to share towels/bed linen.

Also, as with many virus', healthy people with strong immune systems are less liely to catch it. DD had been very tired and had a few bugs so was very low anyway.

FebreezeYourJeans Mon 01-Aug-11 20:36:38

I agree, madness to suggest that you shouldn't take a child with molluscum swimming, my dd had it for almost 2 years!!! My GP told us not to avoid swimming but not to share towels etc which we were scrupulous about.

I wouldn't have allowed my dd to share a bed though when she had it, as I imagine the risk of infection is quite high in that scenario.

vintageteacups Mon 01-Aug-11 20:39:44

I bought some colloidal silver and some children's tablets to make it disappear quickly but dd refused to take the tablets and said the silver was sticky (dram queen).

But it's supposed to be really good at clearing it up.

I got it from here

PhylisStein Mon 01-Aug-11 20:43:28

All my kids caught it from some kid at swimming - they took years to go and have left scars! Not good !

LadyDamerel Mon 01-Aug-11 20:44:03

ScarlettIsWalking, if she HAD told you, what would you have done differently?

CarrieOakey Mon 01-Aug-11 20:45:24

This is from the patient.co.uk website that DH recommends his patients to use as a reliable reference on health matters (he is a GP). Hope it helps.

Can infection with molluscum contagiosum be prevented?

The chance of passing on the molluscum contagiosum virus to others is small, and it is not serious anyway. Therefore, there is no need to keep children with molluscum contagiosum off school, or away from swimming pools, gyms, etc, or away from other children.

LadyDamerel Mon 01-Aug-11 20:48:18

Carrie, I linked to that earlier in the thread as it explains molluscum and the chances of catching it in detail. It's a very useful source of info.

CarrieOakey Mon 01-Aug-11 20:52:26

Lady whoops sorry, that'll teach me for not reading the whole thread!

RedHotPokers Mon 01-Aug-11 21:01:53

If the guidance is that swimming is ok then what do you expect the mother to do?

My DD has bad warts on her hands, and it breaks my heart for her when other parents notice and comment - one suggested I should tell DD not to hold hands with her friends. sad

CarrieOakey Mon 01-Aug-11 21:02:32

sad Redhot

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Mon 01-Aug-11 21:05:29

Would all in one swim outfits help avoid catching it?

twilight81 Mon 01-Aug-11 21:42:58

my ds has some under and on his arm, i know they can take a long time to go away even years and there is not alot you can do about them.. BUT they are harmless!

if somebody even suggested to me not to take him swimming because of it i would laugh and tell them to bugger off.... people send their snotty full of cold children to playschool/school rather unfairly... that i would moan about!
but molluscum?? there is no instant cure, what should we do quaratine our children?
honestly some people!

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Mon 01-Aug-11 21:59:23

cantharidin gets rid of them, often in one treatment.

vintageteacups Mon 01-Aug-11 22:51:23

read!!!1

READ reference cantharidin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now