Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox etiquette?

(5 Posts)
Ratgirl77 Sat 30-Jul-11 20:08:15

My 7 month old DD was in contact with a friend's 14 month old yesterday, who has today come out with chicken pox. I have just read that the incubation period can be up to 21 days and it is most contagious a couple of days before the rash arrives, and then until the spots scab over. What is 'the done thing' in this situation - should I keep DD away from any other kids for 3 weeks just in case she also comes down with chicken pox? Or just tell people she may have been exposed and leave it to them to decide? Or just stay away from pregnant friends / friends with newborns? She doesn't yet go to nursery as I'm on mat leave, so in theory we could just stay at home for a while....
Thanks for any advice

LordOfTheFlies Sat 30-Jul-11 21:22:14

My DCs both had mild chickenpox at nursery and IIRC they had to stay home for 5 days ( not both of them,they had it different times)

Someone posted a while back that their school aged child had to be excluded for 2 weeks !

BlueArmyGirl Sun 31-Jul-11 15:14:40

this is always a good guide

www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

LIZS Sun 31-Jul-11 15:30:03

When ds was exposed at around 18 months I kept him out of circulation( mums and tots groups etc) from day 10 -21 just in case, primarily as I knew some of his contemporaries were due to go on holiday in the coming weeks. Typically he didn't get it !

Runoutofideas Sun 31-Jul-11 17:02:18

She's not likely to pass it on to anyone at the moment, even if she has picked it up herself. I would maybe be careful not to be around pregnant friends/tiny babies/old people in 10-21 days time, and watch out for her being more grizzly/tired as this could be signs before the spots come out. If she has got it and the spots appear, I would then keep her inside until all the spots have crusted over, or about a week. She may well not have it though. My dd1 was exposed to it 4 or 5 times (not intentionally) before she actually contracted it. DD2 caught it from dd1 and the spots came out exactly 2 weeks after dd1's first ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now