Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dream feed and brushing teeth

(6 Posts)
Whathashappenedtomyboobs Sat 30-Jul-11 19:38:50

Basically my ds now 6 months has 4 bottom teeth, I brush them in the morning after breakfast then once again after his bed time feed. What I want to know is should I be brushing them after his dream feed at 10pm? I know this is going to wake him but worried about tooth decay. What do other mums do?

Thanks

breatheslowly Sat 30-Jul-11 19:45:11

I would look towards dropping his dream feed. We did it at about 7 months and DD slept just the same.

RitaMorgan Sat 30-Jul-11 19:47:33

Is it breast or bottle? If breast it should be fine - the nipple is pulled far back into the mouth so the milk doesn't pool round the teeth. If it's a bottle I would think about dropping it in the next few weeks, but don't worry too much before then.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 30-Jul-11 19:51:17

We never bothered, but stopped dream feeds by abaout 7 months with both of our ds's

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Sat 30-Jul-11 20:25:28

Thanks for coming back to me.

He's bottle fed. Ok I'll think about dropping dream feed- bit nervous as he's only just started sleeping through... should I do this by decreasing the amount I give him over a week or so or do I go cold turkey?

Also when he wakes around 4/5am I'm giving him a few oz of milk to get him back to sleep.....should this stop as well?

RitaMorgan Sat 30-Jul-11 20:30:10

6 months is pretty young to have no milk in the night so I wouldn't be in too much of a rush. I started pushing the early hours feed through to the morning at about 6 months, and then reduced the dreamfeed and brought it earlier, dropping it completely just before 8 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now