Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby mystery- Reflux/Colic?

(10 Posts)
yummymummy345 Sat 30-Jul-11 09:24:11

Hi, 5 week old DS having few issues with colic like symptoms and nappy rash/runny poos (sory tmi) breathing problemsgrunting raising legs etc. looks as though this is all down to cows protein intollerance. Now bf and hypoallergenic formula for top ups. and problems eased considerably.

Question is - he now wakes every night about the same time -4am unsettled, raising legs like colic, sometimes not that interested in food- (may have ff him at 2am). only thing that settles him is laying him down on his tummy on me (but worried il fall asleep an he will fall off). If didnt do this and fed him a bit he would wake up an hour later with same issue. but trying to figure out what is causing this. Not sure if silent reflucx? doesnt have colic symptoms in evening anymore since hypo formula. Has anyone else had same experience ?
Have to say havmt quite cut out every bit of milk whilst I am bf yet just the obvious things- yogharts etc

ChocaMum Sat 30-Jul-11 20:17:06

Yes I've had a similar experience - the colic, frequent runny poos and nappy rash, feeding small amounts but very frequently, reflux.

IMO you have to cut out all sources of cwp so reading all labels because it's actually in all sorts of things like crisps, biscuits and even oxo. Also with my DD we had to cut out soya as well because there is a big overlap with cwp allergy and soya allergy. HTH. smile

yummymummy345 Sun 31-Jul-11 10:07:20

Thanks Choca, you think this is reflux? Now trying to cut all milk protein out, never knew it was in the amount of foods its in!

I can perhaps try the gaviscon also for the reflux, just dont want to give meds unnecessarily, thanks again

Runoutofideas Sun 31-Jul-11 17:10:50

My friend's baby had terrible silent reflux. He wasn't sick, just permanently uncomfortable and cried and wriggled a lot, feeding tiny bits at a time. She found that he would only sleep on his tummy which after many battles she gave in to - along with medication and high energy formula as he was losing weight. I'm not trying to recommend going against SIDS guidelines however it might be worth discussing with your health visitor.

ChocaMum Sun 31-Jul-11 19:04:42

I am in no ways an expert but the parallels sound too similar so I'm just letting you know what we ended up being told was wrong. In cwp allergy silent reflux is really common and causes lots of tummy pain and also pain in the throat/gullet so even when they are hungry they often refuse feeds from the pain, arch back, raise legs and cry, and generally unsettled. Also the breathing problems, night time cough, constant runny nose etc was also apparently part of the silent reflux.

My DD use to sleep a lot better on her side and tummy, and in the sling compared to on her back. I also tried raising the head of her cot by putting a pillow under the mattress at the head end which helped a bit.

Gaviscon doesn't actually do much for reflux, we were told all it does is thicken milk feeds without any medicinal effect. And no real side effects to worry about. We had a trial of ranitidine and domperidone but DD still lost weight on these so were changed to lansoprazole, a treatment often used in adults for excess stomach acid. This really has helped.

Hope you get some where quicker than we did.

ChocaMum Sun 31-Jul-11 19:15:32

I forgot to say the specific name for this we were told is eosinophilic oesaphagitis. HTH. smile

Runoutofideas Sun 31-Jul-11 20:03:57

Ranitidine - that's what my friend's ds was taking. Couldn't remember the name until I saw it. I think the prescription high-energy formula was still cow's milk based though, so maybe in his case it wasn't the same allergy causing the reflux. Not sure but ChocaMum seems to know what she's talking about.

yummymummy345 Mon 01-Aug-11 10:32:47

great info, I find that you have to find out these things for yourself and then present them to Docs/HV otherwise they are not much help, I said many times to them about the runny poos, excess wind, upset tummy etc etc and they didnt think there was a problem. Will speak to them about the reflux..... appreciate you taking the time to advise

ChocaMum Mon 01-Aug-11 13:05:24

I agree, get all the info you need and then you know what you need to get out of the appointment. Good luck!

narmada Tue 02-Aug-11 11:11:19

Definitely cut out all traces of cow's milk from your diet if there's a confirmed or strongly suspected CMP intolerance or allergy. Look out for things like whey powder in biscuits and cakes and even sausages. YOu might also need to cut out soya too, as this is a common cross-allergen. If you're going to do this long-term, I would say ask to see a dietician as you'll need to make sure you're taking in adequate vitamins and calcium.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now