Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox in a newborn?

(10 Posts)
Gooddie Fri 29-Jul-11 21:58:57

Need some advice please. I'm 39 weeks pregnant with a 22 month old DD.

My niece has just started chicken pox. We think she got it at a birthday party 3 weeks ago (that DD was at too!) and DD has been in contact with her loads since then anyway. DD in crap form the last few days, so thinking she might get it too.

Anyway, what will happen newborn baby? My mother keeps saying it'll be immune, but how is that? Surely it'll get it from DD (if she does get it!)?? Thankfully I'm immune cos I think that's v serious.
Ahhhh....can't believe this is happening at this stage!

Thanks!

fidelma Fri 29-Jul-11 22:32:13

I think the baby will get imunity if you breast feed.Speak to your MW

jubilee10 Sat 30-Jul-11 18:53:51

My ds1 had it whilst I was in hospital having ds2. My blood had to be checked to ensure I was immune before they would let me take the baby home. I was told he would get his immunity from me. He's almost 14 and has never had it (that we know of) despite ds3 having it smile.

purpleknittingmum Sat 30-Jul-11 18:58:26

I managed to catch chicken pox when I was about 38 weeks pregnant. Went to the hospital and they made up some sort of concoction using what they could out of my chicken pox spots and she had an injection when she was first born

She did come out in shingles when she was about 8 months old, and when I took her to the doctors I had forgotten about the connection until he said

I hope everything is OK, and try and get oily calamine lotion if anyone gets it, it really helped me!

Gooddie Mon 01-Aug-11 23:28:46

Thanks a mill. I'm definitely immune as my bloods were done at 12 weeks. DD still in bad form but hoping (for once!!) it's teeth! Hoping to bf so will ask mw this week about it.

mohara Mon 08-Aug-11 14:10:31

Hi - just to add in my experience....DD1 caught chickenpox when DD2 was only three weeks old last year.......and poor DD2 caught it too!
First spots appeared when she was 4 and a half weeks old, though she didn't have too many and wasn't too grumpy. I was also exclusively breadtfeeding and was advised by MW and HV that my immunity would be passed on to DD2.......which it obviously wasn't! They now seem to think that my own immunity was poor, and have told me that both DDs may well catch chickenpox again in the future!
Sorry - probably not what you wanted to hear but to be honest, they were both young (DD1 was 2 and a half) and got over it quickly with minimum fuss.....HTH

PacificDogwood Mon 08-Aug-11 14:16:55

Were your bloods checked for chickenpox (varicella) or German Measles (rubella)? I am just asking because chickenpox antibodies are not necessarily routinely checked.

Depending on when exactly you have your new baby (you could go 2 weeks overdue wink) your DD might already be well again.
Your new baby will have some antibodies from you directly after birth.
The hospital may wish to treat the baby with immunoglobulins - I'd inform your MW as soon as you are certain that your DD has CP.
If you BF, your new baby will have ongoing protection against chickenpox. No guarantees unfortunately - Gooddie, how crap!
Worst case scenario, your baby gets CP - most babies are ok in the end, but of course a rotten way to start your life.

Good luck smile!

PacificDogwood Mon 08-Aug-11 14:18:14

Not sure how I did this, but got your names mixed up blush - sorry, mohara AND Gooddie

<<goes and hides under a stone again>>

BettyBum Mon 08-Aug-11 14:18:50

My little boy has it now and is 5 weeks. Same as mohara, was told that he wouldn't catch it off his sister as would have immunity from me and my breast milk but this is not always the case! He is probably over the worst of it now as has had the spots for a few days, he is sleeping a lot and has a good covering of spots!

LawrieMarlow Mon 08-Aug-11 14:20:57

DS got chicken pox when he was 23 months old and DD 4 weeks old. Everyone said as I was bf rhat she wouldn't get if.

She got it when she was 6 weeks old. Was v spotty but. Fine. They are 7 and 5 and haven't had it again yet although I realise it is possible either of them might.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now