Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

tympanoplasty - ear drum repair

(3 Posts)
Eve Fri 29-Jul-11 21:25:43

DS2 is now 9 and needs to have this done as the hole in his ear drum is not closing and he has frequent infections.

Anyone had this done.. seems to be a straightforward procedure, under general though with over night stay?

...trying to balance need for operation and general with the frequent infections...

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Fri 29-Jul-11 22:06:27

My son had this done at the age of 10, he had no problems afterwards although removal of the packing in the ear was a bit ouchy. Very neat scar and unless it is a coincidence i cant remember him getting any further infections. His hearing is not so good ( only a small difference) in the repaired ear but this hasn't held him back in anyway educationally.

AnaisB Fri 29-Jul-11 22:10:42

Sister had this done as a child. Really helped with infections and no problems with procedure. I remember she looked like a palm tree afterwards as she had a bandage around her head and all her hair came out of the top. Thinking about it the size of the bandage seemed disproportionate to the procedure - maybe prepare your son for that if he is sensitive about such things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now