Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Her fingernail's going to go, isn't it?

(13 Posts)
Galena Fri 29-Jul-11 16:47:56

DD is 2.3. Yesterday we were visiting a friend and she went in to the kitchen, we heard a bump and then she started screaming. I assumed she'd toppled over and bumped her head (she's still really unstable on her feet) however, I then noticed one of her fingernails was red and the top of her finger was a bit swollen. She wouldn't let me put a cool pack on it, but it seems not to be bothering her too much.

It's been swollen today, but not too painful for her. I noticed at lunchtime, however, that it's obviously been weeping from the top of the nail (Furthest from the nailbed) and there's what looks like an air bubble under the nail. It's still doing this, although doesn't seem to be bothering her at all.

She's a picker and won't keep a plaster on - she'll peel labels off anything so I can't see a plaster being any different.

So, what do I do? I assume the nail will come off (which makes me shudder) but apart from that, what do I do? I have no idea how she did it - I assume she went to shut the door and squished her finger, but I guess I'll never know!

Galena Fri 29-Jul-11 16:50:51

Oh, meant to say, her finger isn't bruised under the nail - it's slightly pinker than the other ones, but not dramatically.

Galena Fri 29-Jul-11 18:08:57

Bump

Galena Fri 29-Jul-11 20:01:40

Nobody cares! <sob>

nightcat Fri 29-Jul-11 22:15:12

arnica cream is good for bruising type injuries

moajab Fri 29-Jul-11 23:26:02

My DS1 shut DS2's finger in a door once and crushed the nail. He refused to wear a plaster and the only thing I could do was give him calpol for the pain. The nail did fall off and there was more pain when this happened. The nail took about 3 months to grow back, but there were no long term problems.

Galena Sat 30-Jul-11 08:56:12

Thanks all. I guess we watch and wait. (and hope daddy's around when it does come off as mummy's too squeamish!)

LordOfTheFlies Sat 30-Jul-11 21:32:47

My DS had a bruised nail when he was about 10 months. It was the colour of undiluted Ribena.
I lanced it when he was asleep (sterile blade) and let the fluid out.

The nail bed dried and we thought nothing of it. Weeks later we noticed the nail had come off, possibly in my bed -he used to sneak in for a hug.

We never found it.Could be anywhere!
Too gory for you Galena grin

LordOfTheFlies Sat 30-Jul-11 21:34:06

BTW it grew back fine. You can't even tell which one it is.

Galena Sat 30-Jul-11 21:48:59

Eew, eew, eew!

Bizarre thing is there's no bruising at all. It's normal colour, but obviously now has a space between nail and finger. Fingertip was a bit pink and warm to touch this morning so we pondered ooh doc. Kept an eye and it was ok come bedtime so we're still being alert but not bothering Dr.

4madboys Sat 30-Jul-11 21:57:45

if there is no bruising then it may not come off at all smile

my ds4 recently did this to his toe and it went all black, there was a blood blister under the nail, the toe nail went all dry and dropped off, not sore for him at all and its already growing back, tho the new nail is a bit bumpy and rough.

depending on the damage to the nail bed sometimes a nail wont grow back, we were worried about this but thankfully ds4's has regrown.

Galena Sun 31-Jul-11 11:29:35

Well, this morning the 'stuff' under the nail was greeny/yellow and gunky so off to the OOH Dr we went. We've now got some antibiotics which I have a feeling she's not going to like. He's sure it's not broken, and he says she nail bed itself looks ok, so while she may well lose the nail, it should be ok.

Still gross and makes me shudder though. Bleurgh!

Galena Sun 31-Jul-11 11:30:05

the nail bed, not 'she nail bed'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now