Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help - how do I get this splinter out!?

(10 Posts)
harrietlichman Fri 29-Jul-11 08:32:01

My ds (6) has what I think is a splinter in his heel, it looks like a small blackish greyish dot but is under the skin with nothing I can grab with tweezers poking through. It is painful to touch and he has had it 'for a bit' - I noticed when I was helping him with his shoes and it hurt him to pull it over his heel. My mum says I need to dig in with a sterilised pin, but I honestly don't think I will be able to do this - has anyone got any suggestions of the best way to get it out? Many thanks!

fastweb Fri 29-Jul-11 08:34:16

Are you sure it is not a verruca ?

I was convinced my son had a splinter, same as your description, but it turned out not to be the case.

Bradsmum Fri 29-Jul-11 08:35:08

Don't know if it actually works as haven't had the opportunity to try it but apparently if you get banana skin and put it over the splinter inside out and tape it on for a while it draws it out. Maybe worth a try overnight or something

rainbowinthesky Fri 29-Jul-11 08:38:27

Sounds like a verucca. Go to a pharacists and show them.

Collision Fri 29-Jul-11 08:43:08

I am in EXACTLY the same boat!

Splinter in foot. DS unable to walk. Can see a dot but nothing to grab on to.

Don't want to leave it til Saturday as docs will be closed so have rung the nurse and am waiting for a phone call!

Will let you know.

harrietlichman Fri 29-Jul-11 17:57:27

Thanks all - I am pretty sure it's a splinter, it's kind of inside the toughest skin on the ball of the heel, no bump at all. I will pop him into the chemist and ask though, before I start poking at the poor thing with a pin! Please do let me know Collision, would be good to hear what the nurse has to say. The banana skin idea sound tempting - if it means I don't have to hurt him anymore than it is already, but knowing him he would rather have a splinter (he has a loathing of bananas, but he might go for the novely of wearing some on his foot!)

harrietlichman Fri 29-Jul-11 20:06:41

ok - dh came back from work, took one look and declared it a verrucca! I am definately taking him to the chemist tomorrow and am actually quite relieved I don't have to try and do a splinter removal job!

HerMajestysSecretCervix Fri 29-Jul-11 20:14:14

A bit late and no longer relevant, but if you want to extract splinters from un-cooperative small children try using a poulticing salve. I got one from our chemist. It was black and tar like and STANK but it drew out the splinters wonderfully.

Collision Fri 29-Jul-11 21:24:27

DS was in agony.

Nurse at docs said she was not allowed to sort it out and so we had to go to minor injuries at A&E!!

He had magic cream and an injection and she jabbed around in his foot but thought the wood bit had pulped overnight so she could not get anything out.

He is now in a huge bandage to his ankle, cannot get a shoe on and on anti biotics!! shock

Am glad I took him now. He also has a big verrucca on his toe which DH can deal with.

Hope your Ds is ok.

If it is a splinter again try magnesium sulphate paste - works best if you can just break the skin and then cover the splinter with the paste, stick a dressing over, when you take the dressing off in the morning, the splinter will be on the dressing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now