Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

chickenpox spots in nappy area...

(12 Posts)
headfairy Thu 28-Jul-11 21:09:12

poor dd has got some really nasty looking chicken pox blisters in her nappy area, mostly the area between the top of her legs and her groin, but some are right under her labia. I don't want them to get infected obviously, so I've been putting a layer of sudocreme on her when I change nappies. Is this the right thing to do or should I leave them. Will they crust over if they've got sudocreme on them?

hellymelly Thu 28-Jul-11 21:18:01

Oh gosh I sympathise,my dd had this at about 11m,and she screamed every time she had a wee,it was horrendous but luckily short-lived.She had some cream from the GP,but yes,they dried up at the same rate as all the other spots.It really was only grim for a couple of days and then it started to get better.

headfairy Thu 28-Jul-11 21:19:07

oh thanks for the reassurance helly... poor love keeps sobbing whenever I try and change her nappy saying "sore mummy, sore" sad

Harimad Thu 28-Jul-11 21:20:23

My daughter was covered with 'the pox' at about 6 months, particularly in the groin area. We just used calomine lotion and then the foam chicken pox lotion you can now get... I think the blisters dry up at the same rate no matter what you put on them... HTH!

hellymelly Thu 28-Jul-11 21:31:48

Aw..that is awful,poor little dd. We called out the GP in the night as our Dd was squealing so much.My older daughter,who was three-ish at the time also had spots on her vulva but as she was out of nappies it was less of an issue,and I think that she had slightly fewer spots too.

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 28-Jul-11 21:33:57

My DD was the same, so bad in her nappy area. Use head and shoulders in the bath to dry them out. And Poxclin mousse from Boots is great.

headfairy Thu 28-Jul-11 21:34:23

when she got the first one yesterday it was the only spot and for a moment I didn't realise what it was... I was racking my brains trying to think what would cause blisters on the genitals. All I could come up with is herpes blush Thank goodness a few more appeared and I realised what it was. I could literally watch them appear yesterday sad

tigana Thu 28-Jul-11 21:35:59

hand foot and mouth can cause groiny spots too I think...

Pounamu Thu 28-Jul-11 21:42:33

My DD had Chickenpox at 5 months as well, and had some nasty looking spots on her bits. I just did as others have said and used a barrier cream, as well as changing her nappy as often as possible, also giving as much open air time as possible. I stripped her off and laid her on a plastic change mat (not the disposable ones, I used the one from her change table) for as much time as possible each day. I think it really helped to not have clothes/nappy etc... rubbing on her spots.

headfairy Thu 28-Jul-11 21:44:02

tigana I think I'm pretty certain it's chicken pox, she was exposed to it a couple of weeks ago. Unless she was exposed to hand foot and mouth at the same time .... eek!

timidviper Thu 28-Jul-11 21:48:04

Apparently more chickenpox spots emerge where skin is warmer so the nappay area often gets more than other body parts. If you can keep your child's skin cool they will get less of them.

DD had it in warm weather and I had her in just a little cotton petticoat whenever possible.

headfairy Thu 28-Jul-11 21:52:20

oooh didn't know that timidviper I will definitely bear that in mind. Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now