Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS (12m) has two red circles on his cheeks

(9 Posts)

It's quite near his mouth, rather than on the apples of his cheeks and at first I thought it was from chewing a toy, but it's been there all day now. Looks flushed , not really rashy, bit very specific - two round circles about the size of 2ps. Any ideas? He has been very 'off' for a week or two. Thanks smile

headfairy Thu 28-Jul-11 15:58:57

Has he got a temperature? Ds used to get spots of high colour on his cheeks when he had a high temperature.

Georgimama Thu 28-Jul-11 15:59:58

Slapped cheek?
Teething?

FannyFifer Thu 28-Jul-11 16:02:33

Any time DS has any sort of viral thing he gets a red circle on his cheek, no idea what it's all about but maybe something similar?

No temp I think, I'll check in a bit but he doesn't feel hot. It's just so...obvious. Two perfect little circles, not just all flushed and hot looking. I'll google slapped cheek...confused

SecretSquirrels Thu 28-Jul-11 16:19:59

There is a virus called slapped cheek. I thought it was a joke until DS2 got it when he was 10. Bright red circles on cheeks.
I do find though that children often vary in their response to viruses. Some are throwers up, some spike temperatures, some get rashes.
DS2 gets some kind of rash whenever he is unwell.

It doesn't look like the slapped cheek I have seen - it's very similar - very red, not excema looking or spotty at all, but it is each side of his mouth, not touching (not impetigo) , and I can feel a sort of lump under each circle now. It's like two really bad bites, without a bite (IYSWIM) - swelling, redness etc.

mrsnoname Fri 29-Jul-11 17:37:39

some sort of fungal infection??

woodpeckers Sat 30-Jul-11 10:06:24

Allergic reaction to something new he's eaten?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now