Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Swollen Eyelid

(5 Posts)
LIZS Thu 28-Jul-11 11:54:53

ds(13) rubbed his eye earlier this week and the eyelid became very inflamed and swollen. Chemist yesterday thought it may an allergy but Piriton hasn't really helped. No pain, itchiness or discharge inside the eye, just above, but it doesn't look good, very pink and as if eye is partly closed. GP can't fit him in today ("oh we had cancellations earlier if you'd called then" - I did but noone answered hmm ) unless I strike lucky this afternoon or call first thing tomorrow. Anything we can do in the meantime ?

LIZS Thu 28-Jul-11 12:44:02

Anyone ? Found a suggestion of baby shampoo on another site .

DBennett Thu 28-Jul-11 22:42:34

You need to get it looked at really as they're quite a lot red swollen lid things out there.

It sounds like a chalazion, which is like a stye underneath the lid.
If it is, they're normally self limiting but respond faster if hot compresses are used.

But you really do need it looked at to make sure it's not one of the more sinister ones.

Your optician might be as good a bet as your G.P. especially if you're in Scotland or Wales.

CharlieBoo Thu 28-Jul-11 23:18:16

Sounds like a sty to me, ds has had them a couple of times (hes 6). Hit compress and should clear up in few days. His eye looks so swollen when he has them but it does go... Lots of warm compresses and I'd no better in few days, gp.

LIZS Fri 29-Jul-11 07:53:54

Thanks took him to the gp at end of surgery who agreed it was a stye inside his eyelid. Hot compresses and ab's if not gone soon. Looks a little better this morning

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now