Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD Has extremely stuffy nose which is affecting her sleep...HELP!

(12 Posts)
MariClaire Thu 28-Jul-11 02:33:28

My 3 week old DD has a very stuffy nose and it seems to be affecting her sleep because she gets all agitated and wakes up with it. We got told to not lie her on her back too much as it seems worse then and I've got her some saline nasal drops from the chemist too. Is this common in newborns or could she possibly be having an allergic reaction to the family members cat? (Her dad has cat allergies)

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Thu 28-Jul-11 03:45:22

likely to be a first cold I reckon

saline her, dip her in vicks, prop her up and be prepared for no sleep

good luck
<hugs>

JollySergeantJackrum Thu 28-Jul-11 05:23:50

Don't use vicks - she is too young

Try propping up the head end of her bed a little. Also take her into a steamy bathroom and try karvol. Make sure you follow the instructions for babies. 3mo ds is now 2 weeks into snotty nightmare but improving now. Got all this advice from hv.

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Thu 28-Jul-11 08:48:30

there is baby vicks which is a godsend

oh and jollys got it, I forgot karvol

Turkelton Thu 28-Jul-11 20:14:59

Karvol capsules are great, I normally put some on the collar of dds babygrow or neck of her growbag where she can't get it near her mouth and it works wonders with her smile

MariClaire Sun 31-Jul-11 01:30:55

Thanks guys, I got some saline nasal drops from the chemist, has worked wonders. She hates getting them but it really works. Unfortunately she refuses to settle in her moses basket or cot so she sleeps in her little swinging chair anyway, so I don't need to worry so much about propping her up smile

BluddyMoFo Sun 31-Jul-11 01:43:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

howabout Sun 31-Jul-11 01:48:28

You can get a little rubber bulb thing which will suck the snot out - can't remember what it's called - they are really effective and make all the difference especially if baby is having trouble feeding due to bunged up nose.
Boots have them in the same place they keep baby nail clippers and the like.

BluddyMoFo Sun 31-Jul-11 01:50:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

howabout Sun 31-Jul-11 01:57:03

All right, I am up with heartburn and now you have made me feel slightly squeamish Bluddymofo!

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Sun 31-Jul-11 02:02:31

I've done that bluddy

needing to sleep for more than 10 mins at a time gives you the strength to do lots of things grin

MariClaire Sun 31-Jul-11 02:17:49

Thank god there's actually no snot there! Poor wee thing is having a hard time of it all the now. Seems to have started teething as well!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: