Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2-week old DD struggling to poo - HELP!!!

(6 Posts)
GillMP80 Wed 27-Jul-11 08:37:04

My 2-week old baby is finding it difficult to poo over the last couple of days. After speaking to the MW I was advised that babies sometimes go a few days without having a poo.
Aleast 4 times yesterday she was straining as if she was passing although nothing, it has now been 36 hours since having her last poo - do I need to be concerned?
Any advice??

Lovefruitsandvegs Wed 27-Jul-11 10:47:41

Both of my kids had this problem. One of them did not poo for almost a week. Apparently if the stomach is soft and the child looks normal then it is fine. I think it happens more to breastfed children than bottlefed. In Boots they sell a homeopatic remedy made from figs which helps in such situations but I do not know from which age. If you bottlefeed try to give her a little bit of warm water. I have heard it might help too. You could also massage her stomach.

Seona1973 Wed 27-Jul-11 11:32:35

is she breast or bottlefed?

rainbowinthesky Wed 27-Jul-11 11:35:46

If she is bf then no need to do or give anything.

Geordieminx Wed 27-Jul-11 11:36:37

You could try lying her on her back and doing bicycle legs?

Failing that go somewhere where there are no shops, and without a spare nappy... Guaranteed she will have an explosion.

If she is breast fed then it is normal to go up to a week, it's just the gut being ultra efficient and taking all of the goodness out of the milk so there is very little left to pass out IYKWIM?

GillMP80 Wed 27-Jul-11 11:38:54

Hello
Thanks for all the advice so far - she is bottle fed.
I am trying a little cooled boiled water and the bicycle legs - guess its just a waiting game :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now