Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

how common is second time round chicken pox?

(4 Posts)
juicychops Tue 26-Jul-11 09:42:19

i think my ds may have them for the second time. He only has 8 spots which have come up since yesterday. They are itching him. They don't look like bites, they look like little blistery spots like chicken pox.

they are only on his belly though.

He's got a doc appointment this morning.

He's got holiday club this thurs and friday as i have to work. I have no holiday left as ds was badly ill a couple of months ago and i used up all my holiday then so i can't be off work if it is chicken pox.

juicychops Tue 26-Jul-11 10:09:20

bump

Seona1973 Tue 26-Jul-11 22:29:52

it could be shingles rather than chicken pox especially if the spots are in one area. If it is shingles he would be ok to go to holiday club as long as they were covered as the direct contact with the fluid from shingles blisters can cause chicken pox in people who havent had CP before. He would have to be feeling ok in himself too, of course.

DeWe Tue 26-Jul-11 22:51:08

I don't think chicken pox twice is very common, however I don't know if this year's batch is particularly bad, but I've known loads of 2nd timers this year. This may be just me though. I'd agree with Seona in that it could be shingles (or something else) if he's not covered Thursday morning you're probably safe in thinking it's not chickenpox.
I caught chicken pox from someone with shingles ( in my 20s) and didn't have direct contact with the spots so I'm not convinced you should send him if it's shingles though. I'm sure you've asked the doctor by now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now