Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can Daktarin cream (not gel) be used in 10 week old babys mouth?

(7 Posts)
QueenOfTheMadhouse Mon 25-Jul-11 22:23:06

Hi, can the daktarin cream be used orally in babies to treat oral thrush. It is the cream not the oral gel?

BettyBum Mon 25-Jul-11 22:26:04

No. I'm using it on my nipples and wipe it off before a feed.

QueenOfTheMadhouse Mon 25-Jul-11 22:29:46

I thought so, my doctor has prescribed for my baby the cream not the gel to be put in his mouth twice a day, i think he has made a mistake. Says in the packet not to be swallowed. I'm so glad i read the warnings angry

RitaMorgan Mon 25-Jul-11 22:32:35

Fucking hell! Definitely go back and get the oral gel and make a complaint.

QueenOfTheMadhouse Mon 25-Jul-11 22:35:28

I am going to do first thing in the morning, I dont know if it could have been dangerous, but he shouldn't be making mistakes when prescribing medicine, someone else may not have read the enclosed leaflet. I wonder if it would be the doc or the pharmacist that made the mistake though confused

RitaMorgan Mon 25-Jul-11 22:39:25

The oral gel does have a warning about not being suitable for babies under 4 months, so maybe the doctor wanted to avoid it for that reason?

It's fine for babies under 4 months btw so long as you don't squeeze a blob of gel into their mouth (choking risk), just smear it with your finger. My ds was prescribed the gel at 11 days.

QueenOfTheMadhouse Mon 25-Jul-11 22:41:11

I think it was the gel he was supposed to be prescribing, but must have somehow prescribed cream instead? I'm not sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now