Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

"Breastmilk can prolong vomiting. Discuss"

(13 Posts)
Mij Sun 24-Jul-11 17:22:53

BF DD2, 2yo, started puking Friday night. Looked like she was getting over it yesterday, but started again over night and has been looking proper poorly today, still vomiting. She's been feeding & taking water, keeping some down and some not.

Spoke to out of hours service earlier, as I thought it was an odd pattern for a vom bug/food poisoning to take. They advised me to stop BF for a few hours as it could 'keep the bug going' and stick to water. As I know that BM responds to kids' bugs to produce antibodies I was a bit surprised at this. Anyone know a definitive answer?

RitaMorgan Sun 24-Jul-11 17:26:36

Are they maybe confusing breastmilk with dairy? I believe breastmilk counts as a clear fluid, whereas cow's milk isn't a good idea for stomach bugs.

You could always try holding off on the bfing for a few hours, but I wouldn't starve her.

Malkuth Sun 24-Jul-11 17:48:24

Kellymom seems to say that breastmilk is better than any other fluids, and I would take their advice over NHS Direct to be honest.

Malkuth Sun 24-Jul-11 17:49:11

Sorry, OOH not NHS Direct.

Mij Sun 24-Jul-11 17:54:23

That was my thought too - she was trotting out advice re: cows milk. I did explain I'd been continuing to feed because of antibodies blah blah and she sounded slightly confused so I suspect she didn't really know her BF stuff. Not really a surprise.

I trust kellymom too! Not easy to withhold bf from a toddler. Risks upsetting them so much it induces additional vomiting ime!

DoodleAlley Sun 24-Jul-11 17:59:48

DS had gastro at five months and was hospitalised for five days first few only on water til could keep it down for twenty glutinous then back onto breast milk but expressed and syringes first rather than over loading tummy. Seek medical help if your not sure

Mij Sun 24-Jul-11 18:09:27

Doodle I did seek medical help & it didn't help! I'm now less sure than I was before hmm.

Tbh, as she doesn't have the squits, and is still having wees/wet nappies I'm inclined to just stick with what I'm doing.

ragged Sun 24-Jul-11 18:27:26

BM is the only thing that stays down reasonably well (or entirely, even), ime (too much experience, I dare say!). I'd keep breastfeeding if it were me, OP.

Concordia Sun 24-Jul-11 18:31:52

when DD was admitted to hospital after vomiting alot and going very floppy at about 15 months, i arrived there from work, started breastfeeding her and she perked up. they discharged us before the evening but made it clear that was only because they could see her feeding. it was the only thing she could keep down. only time anyone has ever praised me for feeding her after 12 months so i have remembered it! incidentally she fed all that night like a newborn and when she got better my boobs were agony!

HarrietJones Sun 24-Jul-11 18:49:43

We got similar advice fromNHS direct & the triage nurse. GP said to carry on feeding

Mij Sun 24-Jul-11 20:09:58

To be fair she did say for just a few hours, but I now really do think she'd got her bm/dairy info skewed. DD still v off colour but perked up enough to venture into the garden so I couldn't have been doing anything too wrong. I did push the water too & she drank a fair bit on top of bf. Thanks everyone.

DoodleAlley Mon 25-Jul-11 22:14:43

Wet nappies are a good sign in terms of concerns about dehydration. I've found out of hours service a lot less useful than a GP who actually sees your child.

Moist lips are a good sign too.

Hope you return to healthier times quickly

Pavlovthecat Mon 25-Jul-11 22:16:40

"Breastmilk can prolong vomiting. Discuss"

'BS' is how i would direct that discussion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now