Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lactose intolerance following a tummy bug

(5 Posts)
LeoTheLateBloomer Sun 24-Jul-11 11:47:05

DD has recently had a tummy bug (last vomited on Tuesday night) and I've been slowly reintroducing normal food.

I knew she wasn't right last night. She didn't want all her milk and she had two poos during the night which is really unusual. Then this morning she had her morning milk as normal but she was funny about breakfast and was then sick.

I'm certain she must be over her bug but I've read on the baby centre website that they can sometimes develop a lactose intolerance following a bug.

Does anyone have any experience of this and/or know how long it tends to last?

Newbabynewmum Sun 24-Jul-11 19:55:39

This happened to my 10mo DD - after 2 weeks of violent diorreah (sp) the Drs eventually identified it. She had approx 2 lactose free weeks then I slowly reintroduced it. Some need a few months others a few weeks. Shes fine now though.

sneezecakesmum Sun 24-Jul-11 20:41:20

The whole of the gastro intestinal tract is irritated and often inflamed following a gastro enteritis bug so its reasonable that it becomes less tolerant of certain types of proteins in some people. It would normally settle down though to normal in time. I can't see any reason why the intolerance would be permanent.

changer22 Sun 24-Jul-11 20:45:43

My DS (as a baby) had really awful nappies for a time so we switched him to goats milk for 6 weeks on GP advice and then reintroduced cows milk. He has been fine ever since.

I was sick when PG and had a dodgy stomach, lost weight (looked gaunt (!) according to my GP in a phone consultation with a Registrar at the hospital) and I switched to Lactose free milk. I went back to cows milk after a month and was fine.

I hope your DD feels better soon.

DeWe Sun 24-Jul-11 21:37:53

Yes, I've come across this bug before. I think it tends to last "up to a year", which is another way of saying they don't know but it's generally temporary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now