Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cradle cap in toddler

(9 Posts)
Teleaddict Sun 24-Jul-11 05:52:50

Hi, my 2.5 dd still has cradle cap which, despite using the special shampoo, isn't going. I just wondered whether anyone else had experience of it in toddlers and whether eventually itwilljust go on it's own? Or is there something else I could use? I'm not sure whether I should take her to the gp? Thanks

OfflineFor30Years Sun 24-Jul-11 07:19:38

Have you tried combing her hair with a fine comb, something like a nit comb, after a bath when her scalp is still soft. Put loads of conditioner on so it doesn't pull her hair too much. I found this helped to get rid of DD1's remaining cradle cap.

Teleaddict Sun 24-Jul-11 18:23:28

Did it pull her hair out? I've tried picking it off but all of her comes out and she now has a little bald patch where I've done it! Will try though with a fine comb like you suggest though, thanks for your reply.

HarrietJones Sun 24-Jul-11 18:51:55

Olive oilto soften it before a bath then wash it out

ThePetiteMummy Sun 24-Jul-11 19:21:47

Yes, warm olive oil spread over the area, to soften, then comb with a fine tooth comb. Any hair that comes out with the flakes will regrow, so don't worry about that.

DoNotDisturb Sun 24-Jul-11 19:27:11

I third the olive oil. Put it on an hour before bath then give the head a good scrub with a flannel and then comb. Do it every night for a week and it'll slowly lift off.

WellIShouldNever Sun 24-Jul-11 19:30:51

My DS had cradle crap as we called it in our house, till he was 4. We tried everything and nout worked. Until, we discovered Vosene nit replenent shampoo AND the spray (only seen it in Boots). Shampoo as usual, and every morning use the spray and comb through, going against the way the hair grows. Yes, he also had bald bits, but not any more.
I think it was the tea tree oil in the shampoo / spray that worked. Good luck.

elah11 Sun 24-Jul-11 19:38:15

My dd is 5 and has had cradle cap in her hair since she was a baby. I have tried everything, the olive oil (messy, works for a day or two) the special lotion (didnt work) combing it out gently with the oil (hair comes out too sometimes) and in the end I found the only thing to work was anti dandruff shampoo! Now she was 5 by the time I tried it so maybe it would have started to clear anyway but its the only thing that seems to work. She has a bit left still but nothing like it used to be, where I would be able to lift chunks of it off her scalp! I wash her hair maybe 3 times a week max using either Head & Sh*ulders or V*sene anti dandruff shampoo and it keeps on top of it!

Teleaddict Sun 24-Jul-11 20:49:43

Thank you so much for your replies, loads of ideas to try. I will try using different shampoo and putting olive oil on although not sure how I'll convince her to let me do that!! Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now