Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD has repeated 'smelly vagina' what the hell is going on?

(23 Posts)
iphonedrone Sat 23-Jul-11 21:41:14

She wipes front to back, washed in the bath everyday (no bubbles, smellies just water)

Yet she really smells quite fishy. I have taken her to the GP 3 times now, they take a swab (which she hates) send it off and then give her AB's. And then a few weeks later it comes back again. Is it because she is messing around down there (like all kids do), she says its really itchy so shes scratching around all the time too, I really don't want the other kids at school to start noticing!

Anyone have any experience of this?

Pavlovthecat Sat 23-Jul-11 21:44:17

some girls are prone to thrush. It is I beleive quite common. Unfortunately I do not know what can be done about it other than thrush cream? lots of yoghurt (likely the same stuff that helps adult women?).

And, cotton pants that are not too tight, and lots of chances to 'breathe' so maybe loose pj bottoms and no knickers at bedtime, that kind of thing?

mymumdom Sat 23-Jul-11 21:45:08

I'd worm her. Have you done it recently?

Memoo Sat 23-Jul-11 21:45:47

I'd treat for worms too.

Pavlovthecat Sat 23-Jul-11 21:45:55

oh, and had she had any medication for worms? worms itch, and with girls, can 'migrate' forwards. I would think that would change the ph balance of everything.

If you don't want to go investigating, then you can tell the gp you suspect it and they will give you medication for whole family, one dose, followed by second two weeks later if you feel it is needed. Job done.

Pavlovthecat Sat 23-Jul-11 21:46:12

x-posts!

iphonedrone Sat 23-Jul-11 21:56:43

Yes she has had worms a number of times. Her class is rife with nits and worms (thats a whole other issue). Why has the GP never mentioned they could be linked?

I will go and check for nits now whilst she is sleeping (she goes mental at the mention of worms now so we have to check whilst sleeping)

mymumdom Sat 23-Jul-11 22:00:51

Don't check, just treat the whole family. I treat all of us every 3 months or so.

Pavlovthecat Sat 23-Jul-11 22:04:28

mymum like the cats! Do you get the stuff from the gp or from pharmacy? what do you get? i might get some in if from pharmacy, and copy your idea.

lia66 Sat 23-Jul-11 22:08:22

iphone what does her skin look like? Does it look like thrush, sore, cracked at all, whitened?

My dd was given med sfor thrush over and over since she was born, finally at 6 she was diagnosed with lichen sclerosis

iphonedrone Sat 23-Jul-11 22:08:59

Sorry check for worms not nits, and she's clear. I am quite prone to thrush so I hope she's not following in my footsteps. We usually use the two dose ovex stuff from the chemist (our GP won't prescribe worm stuff)

pooka Sat 23-Jul-11 22:10:09

Ditto to the treating every 3 months or so regardless.

I buy the ovex in liquid form. Seems more palatable.

I was also going to suggest worms - have heard of them migrating, and think it can be very irritating/uncomfortable when it happens.

mymumdom Sat 23-Jul-11 22:12:32

we use ovex liquid and tablets. There are six of us and the tablets aren't great for the little ones.

iphonedrone Sat 23-Jul-11 22:13:46

Skins very red (itching?), but last time we went she did have a lession that was infected that the gp thought was due to scratching too hard.

iphonedrone Sat 23-Jul-11 22:16:35

Everytime she has had worms I have seen them in the vagina. The school has sent numerous letters home to parents but someone obviously isn't treating their kids because they keep getting infected. Boil washing bedding, clothes and teddies is becoming quite a drag.

BalloonSlayer Sat 23-Jul-11 22:18:50

has she been tested for a urine infection?

DD had terrible fishy smelling urine. Had her tested. Came back borderline for infection twice - GP wasn't sure so had her do test twice. Still not sure so gave her antibiotics specifically for urine infections and after three days of them the smell had gone. [Only 2 weeks ago so like your DD it could come back of course]

iphonedrone Sat 23-Jul-11 22:28:08

They have dip tested her urine, they mentioned they it come up + for White blood cells but beyond that they haven't said anything

dwpanxt Sat 23-Jul-11 22:41:47

Blackcurrant jam 'neat' grin is a old wives remedy for worms.Maybe worth a daily spoonful-cant hurt and may help.

Pixieonabroomstick Sun 24-Jul-11 18:59:40

Have you used any thrush cream on her ?

VivaLeBeaver Sun 24-Jul-11 19:04:54

Fishy smell sounds like bacterial vaginosis. Have the drs said what the swab results have come back saying?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterial_vaginosis

BalloonSlayer Sun 24-Jul-11 19:39:54

DD had a dip test done but also a MSU one which got sent off to the hospital, presumably so that they can put some on a petri dish and see if anything grows. < shudder > It was that one that came back borderline.

The antibiotics she was given were ones specific to urine infections.

I hope it doesn't come back. Like you, I was worried stiff that she would get nasty comments at school. Truth to tell, sometimes I didn't want to sit next to her on the sofa. sad

When she wet the bed a bit the other day and it just smelled like normal piss I nearly turned cartwheels with delight. grin

She has been smelling normal for about 2 weeks so far, so early days.

matthew2002smum Mon 25-Jul-11 01:01:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

matthew2002smum Mon 25-Jul-11 01:02:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now