Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Constipation / Movicol. Tummy aches. Please help

(4 Posts)
Pancakeflipper Fri 22-Jul-11 18:11:06

My 6 yr old since Easter has had reoccurring tummy aches. In April we saw the Dr who prescribed Movicol after trying something else first.

He's been on about 1/2 everyday or every day.

I forgot last week for a few days and the tummy aches returned.

Obviously been giving the Movicol again ( upped it to 1 sachet a day). Every evening except Yesterday ( Thursday) he's had tummy aches.

This morning (Friday) he had 3/4 Movicol. Did a poo at school. Easy. At 4pm he went to the loo - explosive bottom. Just liquid.
He said he felt ok. But an hour later tummy ache has returned. And back to bed he goes.

Have any of you had experience with Movicol?

Is this current tummy ache probably due to too much Movicol and these are spasms?

I cannot get the balance right.

I presume leave off the Movicol until Sunday?

Al1son Sat 23-Jul-11 10:08:20

I'd go back to the GP and ask for lactulose instead if you haven't already tried it. We find it gentler on DD (8) and just use Movicol when a bit of extra help is needed or if she's taken a lot of codeine.

Pancakeflipper Sat 23-Jul-11 10:10:28

Thanks Al1son. Might ask if we can try that. Did your daughter ever overdo the Movicol?

JuliaGulia Wed 10-Aug-11 13:48:33

My 18mo son is on Movicol to deal with his constipation/screaming when pooing espisodes. We're on one sachet a day (with the night milk) and he's ususally goes first thing in the morning - a nice soft consistency (sorry tmi). We tried Lactualose to begin with but it didn't help at all. Movicol has been a dream for us (compared to the screming) and the doctor said it would take a long while for him to learn that having a poo should hurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now