Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD's 'bits' look very weird. What could it be?

(5 Posts)
Pahhhh Fri 22-Jul-11 09:56:22

DD is 14 and came to me last night complaining that it hurts to walk as she has an ache 'down below'. After much cajoling, I got her to let me look and her whole genital region looks massively swollen - almost cartoonish. Her clitoris and labia 'lips' are massive and it just looks weird! It is not bruised, just massive, and she assures me nothing untoward has happened to her.

What could this be combined with the pain?

I am taking her to GP tonight (if I can get her there) but there are no women GPs available only male and she has said she will not let a male GP look at her. Another option is to take her to our 'walk in' centre and get a female nurse to look at her.

Also posted in general health.

mummytowillow Fri 22-Jul-11 22:52:29

Thrush? I remember mine were mahoosive when I had a nasty bought of it? Has she been on anti-biotics recently, that can cause thrush I think?

Hope she feels better soon

Angel786 Fri 22-Jul-11 22:53:42

Have you tried anti histamines to reduce the swelling?

Hope she's ok x

dearprudence Fri 22-Jul-11 22:56:38

I would take her to the walk-in centre, if you can't persuade the receptionists to fit you in with a female GP. You can reassure her that doctors have seen it all before, but she's 14 and I can understand why she's embarrassed to see a male GP.

Pahhhh Fri 22-Jul-11 23:04:48

Well we are thinking it's thrush. She has put on some Canestan and it feels better. I was going to to take her to the walk-in centre but she decided to stay out with her friends after school until 6pm so we will wait for the appointment I managed to get with a female GP on Monday just to check her over.

One thing I am thinking though is that she completely waxed herself down there (quite a shock) as she was trying to do a Brazilian which went wrong, so maybe an allergic reaction to the strips? Can't imagine what the GP will think! I had been reading about 'enlarged labias' and was getting a bit worried for her.

Thanks all!

Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now