Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Quick Q: 9wo bringing up calpol post-jabs - advice pls!

(6 Posts)
wobblyweeble82 Fri 22-Jul-11 07:04:23

DD had her first jabs yesterday. She has a mild temperature and is generally tetchy and grumpy. \i've tried giving her calpol three times and within a minute or two she's brought it back up alongside half her feed. Can I give her nurofen (she's a whopper) or worth trying an own brand paracetamol? I don't want her temperature to rise confused

LadyGooGoo Fri 22-Jul-11 07:38:37

What is her temp, now?

It's easy for me to say, she'll be fine since I'm not there with screaming newborn. However, try keeping her cool and I know when my child was dehydrated, the doctors told me that the body starts absorption in the mouth and even if only in her tummy for a minute she'll be taking some in.

Just be careful not to give too much over 4 hour period. Also, min age on bottle may be due to gut's ability to handle, not just weight of child. I'm not sure best to edge on cautious side

bumbleymummy Fri 22-Jul-11 07:50:41

Is she happy enough with just cuddles for comfort? The fever is one of the body's ways of fighting off illness so it isn't a bad thing. It makes sense to treat it if it is making her uncomfortable but sometimes just being held close and comforted can settle them just as well and if the paracetemol is upsetting her tummy it might be the better option. Has she had it before? Maybe she's allergic/sensitive to it.

wobblyweeble82 Fri 22-Jul-11 09:19:07

Thanks lady googoo - didin't know that it starts getting absorbed so quick. I managed to dip a dummy into some and did that a few times and touch wood, that's stayed down. I reckon she had about 1ml so better than nothing. And cuddles work to an extent bumbley, but if she's hot and bothered anyway, I can't help but make her warmer. A day in the sling I think today. her temp an hour or so ago was 37.8/9 which I know is only mild. I just want to get her comfy if nothing else!

DeWe Fri 22-Jul-11 10:21:45

Unless your temperature is above hers then unless you're really wrapping yourself round her you'll cool her down.
Law of thermodynamics: Heat flows from the hotter body to the cooler body. wink
If she's not even hitting 38deg then I wouldn't worry about calpol unless you feel she's in pain.

wobblyweeble82 Fri 22-Jul-11 10:30:54

Thanks for the science bit DeWe grin She's just vommed spectacularly and then given me a great big gummy grin - better out than in obviously!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now