Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6 month DS exposed to chicken pox

(3 Posts)
owainsmum Thu 21-Jul-11 10:18:29

My 6 month DS was exposed to chicken pox at the weekend- we saw a cousin's child who came out in spots 2 days later so didn't know at the time. Apparently it's at the most contagious in the couple of days before spots appear so there is a fairly high chance that my DS will get it. The incubation period is 2 weeks so I won't know for over a week if he's got it, but I'm wondering whether I should keep him away from other babies and children next week. There are a couple of play groups we usually go to on monday and tuesday, which will only be just over a week since he was exposed, so if he has got it he shouldn't be contagious yet. I'm not sure what to do now, I don't want to risk spreading it to the other babies and toddlers, but he should still be safe at that point.
Any advice gratefully received, and also if anyone can tell me what early symptoms to look out for that would be fab.

Seona1973 Thu 21-Jul-11 12:16:52

the incubation period can be up to 21 days (although ds got it about 15 days after dd had it). I would personally carry on as normal as there is no guarantee he will get it at all.

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Thu 21-Jul-11 21:17:46

Signs to look for are general unwellness, you know the typical temperature, grumpiness and out of sorts. My DD was exposed to it, once with daily contact with a poxy child for a week, and didnt get it til years later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now