Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Persistant non productive cough DD 11yrs

(12 Posts)
MegGriffin Wed 20-Jul-11 21:43:20

Please help. She is coughing constantly and has been for over a week, day and night. No other infections or virus. No temperatue. She aches from coughing. I have tried chesty cough medicine to loosen it withy no effect, steam, karvol,vicks and nothing helps. What could be making her cough? I feel so sorry for her and helpless. She is in her last few days of primary and I want her to enjoy them.

MegGriffin Wed 20-Jul-11 21:53:34

She is just coughing and coughing sad

AppleHEAD Wed 20-Jul-11 22:49:18

Dr? Could be asthma
Take her to the GP

bruffin Wed 20-Jul-11 23:07:24

The last few years my hayfever had turned to a cough. It is post nasal drip where the mucas goes down the back of the throat instead of down the nose. It irritates the throat and is very annoying.

bellavita Wed 20-Jul-11 23:11:09

I agree with AppleHEAD.
DS1 used to be like this. Turned out he had asthma and has a purple and blue inhaler. One to be done twice a day and the other as and when.

bellavita Wed 20-Jul-11 23:11:32

And now has

MegGriffin Thu 21-Jul-11 20:08:14

Thank you very much. I will take her to docs. Can Asthma manifest itself over a short period?

crazynanna Thu 21-Jul-11 20:19:51

Asthma can develop at any time,my doc told me.

The persistent cough is a possibility of it.

MegGriffin Thu 21-Jul-11 20:25:24

Crikey, thank you. It's her last day at her primary school tomorrow. Sorry for the silly question but could it wait till Monday?

bellavita Thu 21-Jul-11 20:39:42

Tbh, I would get an appt ASAP. Can you get one for tomorrow evening or Sat morning? And yes it can take hold at any time.

MegGriffin Thu 21-Jul-11 21:14:18

Is there anything I can do to help the coughing in the mean time?

bellavita Thu 21-Jul-11 22:17:03

Bowl of water in her bedroom.

We always found that the Sudafed menthol plug ins were also of great help. You can buy these in Boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now